HELP-WL Hefeweizen IV starter Disaster?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFsorrow

Reaction score
I just finished a simple hefe brew and went to pour in the half gallon yeast starter I made 2 days ago. I shook it it up to get everything into a suspension and unscrewed the cap and was immediately taken back by just how strong and pungent of a sweet oder it gave off as I poured it into the wart. I've had no experience with this sort of yeast before and have no idea what sort of a smell it should create but this was more like a warm, stale, sweet beer smell then anything else. The starter was warm.
Is this bad? The starter did not appear to have any visual contamination, just a lot of foam and yeast byproduct.

Make sure you have a good blow-off ready. Carboy or bucket? Hefe yeast can be a stinky one.

What temp do you plan to ferment at?

I live in a small apartment with a window AC unit. I've got that set at 68F at all times but that doesn't mean my apartment will be that cold nor do I really have that great of a control over the temperature differential. The primary pail currently is sitting in my bathtub which is about 71F now but I plan on moving it to another spot in my apartment that is about 68F. I know the temps are a little high but I don't have much more of an option.

The airlock is bubbling like crazy now and it is giving off much more of a normal beer smell but there is still a hint of a sulfur like smell, which, I guess Hefe yeast is known for.

I would leave in your bathtub with some cool water and ice. Keep it close to 68 to get a good balance of clove and banana. I would not put it near anything that you do not want ruined. My wheats usually blow the top off of the fermenter.

Back