Help with water chemistry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aycs

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what additions/dilutions I should be making to my tap water. I will soon be making the step up from stove-top partial mash to all-grain in converted kegs. I had well water where I used to live and used that with a pinch of gypsum and the beer always came out fine so I never gave it any thought, but I have not brewed yet since I moved and now that I will be doing 10 gallon all-grain batches, I have decided that it is probably wise to adjust my water properly. I have found online calculators that will tell me the amounts of salts needed to reach my target, but I am unsure what my target should be. Below is the water profile for my local tap water. I mash at 105/140/158 (30 minutes each) and typically make stouts and amber ales.

(in mg/L)
Calcium: <10
Sodium: 8.9
Chloride: 3.9
Sulfate: 7.3
Nitrite: < 0.5
Nitrate: 0.33
pH: 8.32
Hardness (CaCO3): 19.6 mg/L
The water report I received doesn't list Magnesium anywhere, unfortunately.

Calcium chloride and maybe gypsum should be all you need, at a rate of about a gram per gallon total. Malts provide enough Mg, I'm told.

Your water is enviably soft.

Back