Help with wash looking odd after adding finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy wilson

Reaction score
Guys I made a sugar wash and after three weeks fermentation stopped. All was looking good and added carbon as usual. 2-3 days and carbon did its stuff and sank and wash was looking fairly clear and added finings (A +B) in the recommended way. A day later the wash was going bright but I saw white looking deposits on the top. Another day and looks worse with the white deposits having 'tails' down into the wash bucket.
Always do careful sanitizing (use star san). Anyone have this effect after adding finings? And anyone know if this is infected / contaminated - should I throw?
See photos,,
IMG_4763.JPG
IMG_4764.JPG
IMG_4765.JPG

So as a follow up... I may not have had any replies but I see Ive had some views so I thought I would say that the issue seems slightly reduced after a couple of days standing. So Im guessing its not an infection etc. and judging by the tiny bubbles on the surface, I think there must be some yeast still in there. (getting a new hydrometer today!)

Hard to tell what they are, could be yeast rafts with CO2 bubbles clinging to them.
Infections usually show up as pellicles, covering the whole surface with a haze that becomes a thicker skin with time.

Was that sugar wash very high gravity? 3 weeks for fermentation sounds long to me.

Hard to tell what they are, could be yeast rafts with CO2 bubbles clinging to them.
Infections usually show up as pellicles, covering the whole surface with a haze that becomes a thicker skin with time.

Was that sugar wash very high gravity? 3 weeks for fermentation sounds long to me.

Thnaks for reply - Not particularly high but a reasonably cold start 14-15c for a few days. At three weeks was about 990 when activity stopped. Ive seen infections multiply like anything over a day or two so I think this will be fine and I will leave it cool and dark for a coule more days. (Smells ok too).

If you're making a sugar wash there is absolutely no reason to clear anything.

A sugar wash will look like water without additions and will clear rather quickly on their own.

A sugar wash does need nutrients and yeast but that's it imho after doing this 20 years.

Don't over think a sugar wash, when getting into AG's that's when you worry.

Back