Help with store bought juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougget

Reaction score
Hi,
I started a couple batches (2.5 gal each) just before the holidays. My normal cider place was closed so I bought 5 gallons from a local grocery store. The only extra ingredient was something that was supposed to preserve flavor... it was not the typical potassium sulfate or sodium benzoate. So I figured it was OK to use.
I added 2.5 campden tables to each carboy and let it set for just over 24 hours.
Then I pitched my yeast. Just a typical cider yeast... started in warm water with some sugar for about an hour then added to the juice.
Both started to ferment but very slowly... then stalled after about two days.
So I pitched more yeast, same as before with water and sugar.
Now one of my carboys is doing well, but the other has stalled again.
Should I keep adding more yeast? Is there something else I can try?
Thanks,
Doug

I found one of the gallon jugs. The ingredient is "Glycolipids" (To maintain freshness)
If that's ok to start with... maybe I added too much campden when I started the batch.
1 tablet per gallon... crushed and dissolved... waited about 26 hours to pitch the yeast.
That all seems proper.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Doug

Yeast is about 2 years old. I used it back in October and it worked fine. And when I start it in some sugar water it is very active within 10 minutes. So the yeast should be fine.
I just added more yeast to both 2.5 gal batches. Warm water with a tablespoon of sugar and a tablespoon of yeast.

Do you have a hydrometer to check the gravity? If so, what is it?
What was the temperature of the water when you rehydrated the yeast? If the temperature is too high you can kill some of the yeast.
It may seem like a good idea to rehydrate yeast with sugar water or yeast nutrient, but its actually counterproductive.
I'm not an expert in yeast biology, but from what I've read you want to use just water, or water and a product called Go-Ferm protect (which is different than regular yeast nutrient). Add nutrients 24 hours after pitching the yeast. Note: I don't use any yeast nutrient in my cider, but the juice I use doesn't come from the store, not sure if that makes a difference.

I found one of the gallon jugs. The ingredient is "Glycolipids" (To maintain freshness)
If that's ok to start with... maybe I added too much campden when I started the batch.
1 tablet per gallon... crushed and dissolved... waited about 26 hours to pitch the yeast.
That all seems proper.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Doug
If you are buying store bought apple juice in the US , my guess is that the manufacturer is forced to pasteurize the juice either with heat (dispreferred) or by UV light (best practice) to kill any potential for ecoli or listeria on fruit that will be gathered from the ground. Bottom line: there is no need to add Campden tabs to commercially bottled fruit juice. You are simply adding a belt to braces (suspenders). If the juice is not commercially pressed and bottled, that is a different story.

That all seems proper.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Doug
Looks like Glycolipids were discussed here a few years ago:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/glycolipids.685229/
and yes, they prevent fermentation.

Stupid Glycolipids!!!!

Well, I have two 2.5 gallon batches... one seems to be cooking along just fine... The other starts up when I re-pitch but only runs for a day or two then stalls.

I may keep the batch that's doing well and dump the other. Start over with some real juice.
I'll check the SG first... Maybe it's low 4%-5% and semi sweet as is... That wouldn't be too bad.

No go. SG reading was the same as the initial reading.
Oh well, lesson learned. At least I only wasted 2.5 gallons.

Back