Help with Rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueray

Reaction score
I am a somewhat novice brewer, having brewed about a dozen batches to date and am starting to get into the complexities a bit more. A problem has surfaced, however, that I can’t quite figure out and have read conflicting information.
I have a all-grain recipe that has been converted to extract with specialty grains by a reliable source, but am in need more procedural details. One of the ingredients is rice. Have read about the cereal mash, etc. and which type of rice product to use. Unfortunately, I don’t have flaked rice available as quickly as I need to get started. Have also read about the benefits of using Minute Rice like products.
If I use whole rice and do a cereal mash, should I add this in (after cooling) with the specialty grains to steep approximately 15 mins or so and then remove it?
At what point should I add the rice and at what temp?
Have read this should not be done, but have also read this was necessary for the enzymes to convert.
Experienced brewers out there, please help me out.

I am a somewhat novice brewer, having brewed about a dozen batches to date and am starting to get into the complexities a bit more. A problem has surfaced, however, that I can’t quite figure out and have read conflicting information.
I have a all-grain recipe that has been converted to extract with specialty grains by a reliable source, but am in need more procedural details. One of the ingredients is rice. Have read about the cereal mash, etc. and which type of rice product to use. Unfortunately, I don’t have flaked rice available as quickly as I need to get started. Have also read about the benefits of using Minute Rice like products.
If I use whole rice and do a cereal mash, should I add this in (after cooling) with the specialty grains to steep approximately 15 mins or so and then remove it?
At what point should I add the rice and at what temp?
Have read this should not be done, but have also read this was necessary for the enzymes to convert.
Experienced brewers out there, please help me out.

A cereal mash is for gelatinising the starch in raw grains but that is just a precursor. To then use the rice it needs to be mashed with base malt, that is malt containing conversion enzymes. Specialty malts won't do for the purpose. The simplest way to get rice into an extract recipe is to use rice syrup solids. They are available from almost any homebrew supplier.

You could also consider doing a mini-mash. It's not terribly difficult and is a great way to expand the capabilities of extract brewing.

Back