Help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm new to brewing and i'm following a recipe I got from my local brewstore, and I have some trouble understanding the volumes in the recipe it says 12,3litre in the mash stage then 27 litre in the "wort" stage I think and the finale colume is 23litre but the total volume is 32litre. can someone hep to explain when to add water at which stage in the brew process?

Attachments

• screeenshot.png
    screeenshot.png
    315.4 KB · Views: 29
Sorry, i'm not sure what kind of recipe it is, i'm currently doing heating the first stage 65 degrees celsius with 4.7kg malt & 235g caramel malt. I have 10 min left but increased the volume to 20litre because it seemed to thick with 12.3 I think, II thought maybe it doesn't matter because 2nd stage the volume increase anyway?

I suppose they assume you will top up to the correct pre boil volume, that's what I would do.
A tip is to check your actual boil off and then get some recipe building software to get some more control.
Thank you erik for all your help, I added to the volume so it's 32 litre now before boiling and then after the volume maybe the volume decrease to the 23 litre? sorry i'm retarted I know I should research this before trying

The amount of water that is evaporated is probably not the same as the people who wrote your recipe assumed from some sort of average i guess.
You will likely end up with a bit more or a bit less than 23L, you should check how much YOUR kettle evaporates during a 1hr boil to get more precise volumes adapted to your personal gear/setup.

Ok, I guess then i'm not doing anything really bad then it seems?, i'll check what the volume is after 70min boiling and then next time have more/less volume depending on how muh volume is left after boiling now?

Okay, thank you alot Erik for all the help
I'll chill out and see what the result is, if I need bigger or less volume in the future, right now it seems it might settle ataround 23 litre (it is at 25 litre right now), maybe a little less, with 40min remaining of the boil

it's at 23litres now with 30min boil remaining, is it dumb to add a couple of litres of water to maybe end at 23 litre?

Okay, I didn̈́t touch it and it seems to have have settled at 21 litres and I've cooled it below 40 degrees now, I guess I may how freaked out for nothing. Next tiime I can add some more water before the boil. Thank you erik, this is s complicated for me yet

Back