Help with recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbrew3

Reaction score
Brewing up my third batch tomorrow and although im sure it will end up great,this is the first time adding sugar to the wort(read somewhere that it drys out the beer and the hop flavor really shines!) anyways the question is do I need more? or am I fine?

Recipe as follows:

7lbs Pale lme
8ozcrystal 15
4oztable sugar

.5oz columbus(60 mins)
.5oz Amarillo(20 mins)
.5oz Falconers Flight(15 mins)
.5oz Amarillo(10 mins)
.5oz Falconers flight(5 mins)

4oz of table sugar will not make much difference. If you really want this to dry out, you would be better off with 8-12oz at least IMO. I am brewing a Belgian Blonde this weekend and will be using a full pound.

next question is,when would I add the 8-12oz? ten minutes left of the boil?

It doesn't really matter when you add the sugar honestly. Are you looking to dry the beer out? If not, I would skip the sugar altogether. I think your recipe looks fine without it.

i would do a full oz of columbus for bittering; i would also add .5lbs of flaked wheat (step in muslin bag) and dont forget your irish moss with 10 mins left..other than that should turn out good.

Yea I was curious to see how it would work(drying beer out) what would flaked wheat add to the beer?

that sounds good,should I up the lme? according to hopville..my recipe comes out at 5.9% abv and with the full oz of columbus it will be around 85 ibus..as much as I love hoppy beer won't that be a bit off balanced?

lme should be fine.. and if you wanted to split the regiment up for the full oz of columbus it would tone down the ibus..u can add the other half oz as a flame out columbus are pretty good for aroma.. you could even dry hop it with that other half oz..

flaked wheat needs to be mashed, you'd just be adding starch. should be plenty of head retention from the extract, crystal & hops as is

i'd add 8oz sugar at the end of the boil. i'd also move all those late hops 5mins forward (ie 15, 10, 5, 0) and/or consider adding 0.5oz of each in a dry hop to get more aroma/flavor

ludomonster said:
Are you using software to make the recipe? It makes making recipes a lot easier.

I'm using hopville,Its free and seems to do a decent job.

dcp27 said:
flaked wheat needs to be mashed, you'd just be adding starch. should be plenty of head retention from the extract, crystal & hops as is

i'd add 8oz sugar at the end of the boil. i'd also move all those late hops 5mins forward (ie 15, 10, 5, 0) and/or consider adding 0.5oz of each in a dry hop to get more aroma/flavor

I was thinking the same thing about the flaked wheat,but wasn't sure. I'm picking up 2oz of Amarillo and falconers and dry hopping with the remaining oz of each also using the remainder of what Columbus I don't use for jiggering..so it should smell amazing!

Back