Help with Pouring at Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiGravShawn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here's the situation... I will be presenting some homebrew at a charity competition at about 2oz at a time. It is bottle conditioned in 22 oz bombers. Normally I don't worry about clarity or sediment because I put em in the fridge and then pour it all at once in a glass, leaving any sediment in the bottle. When we popped one to see if they were conditioning according to plan, I poured some into 5 glasses for our club to try and by the time I got to about a quarter left it had shaken up all the yeast. When I went to pour some more out it was like milkshake so now I'm worried that I will either serve a bunch of overly yeasty glasses, give a poor showing in the competition, or end up wasting a lot of each bottle. The competition not as much since I figure they'll carefully pour for the judges all at once, but the constant up and down of serving the attendees has me spooked.

Any advice?

Would it screw the carbonation up?

The more gently your pour the less carbonation will leave solution. Pouring gently twice, therefore, can be similar to pouring less gently once.

Your other alternative is to pour multiple glasses without disturbing the yeast. If it isn't obvious how to do this, go to a decent restaurant and order a bottle of wine.

maybe a little, but if you're very gentle with it and ice the pitchers before hand, you could probably get away with it. this is how our local homebrew club served beer the one time i went and there was still plenty of carbonation left.

maybe a little, but if you're very gentle with it and ice the pitchers before hand, you could probably get away with it. this is how our local homebrew club served beer the one time i went and there was still plenty of carbonation left.

Yeah, lots of beer festivals bulk serve to attendees this way as well... chill a pitcher, pour your bomber to the shoulder, and serve the samples from the pitcher... it'll be fine. :)

i would say pour a number of glasses all at once in one distinct pour. don't tilt it back up or anything, just move from glass to glass to glass in one swoop.

i would say pour a number of glasses all at once in one distinct pour. don't tilt it back up or anything, just move from glass to glass to glass in one swoop.

I actually tried to do this when we tasted it and it still got very yeasty plus I'm not sure the traffic will be enough that I'll want to stand there with the bottle tilted. It's just a small charity thing.

I learned my lesson though and did double racking, gelatin, more clearing time etc.. for the second beer I brewed for this thing and it's much better. I just didn't think about it as it's never been a concern for me.

I've done 3 events this year this way. I bottle in plastic 2-liter bottles & decant into pitchers for serving in sample glasses. Works great.

Back