help with loose and leaking shut off valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural320

Reaction score
since I didn't know better at the time, I bought a beverage factory dual output regulator when I built my kegerator, and it has worked fine-ish until recently. now, when I turn one of the little plastic shut off valves to cut the gas flow, it is all loose and I can hear an audible "hiss" until I wiggle it to make it stop.

it's held down with a tiny soft screw, so naturally I just went at it with a screwdriver to tighten it...and it won't tighten. the screw just gets more and more stripped, and it (the plastic) is still loose.

I didn't think much of it, but my quarter-to-half-full CO2 tank emptied over the weekend (while I was away of course!) and both of my kegs are flat...so I know there is a system leak somewhere, otherwise the kegs should still have residual pressure, right?

since I touched nothing but the shut off valve, I am 99% sure that is my culprit. any ideas as to what I should do? any repair tips that I am simply missing? should I just pony up the $ and get new valves? are there "better" valves that are built more solidly that I should be checking out?

Back