Help with lager schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You never posted your recipe. Was it a kit, all-grain, extract? What specialty malts did you use?

Maybe the fruity-ness is from some dark crystal malts. Those will mellow over lagering time.

The Recipe was from BCS. Ill put it down here when i get home if you would like. I have a feeling from what i read, that i fermented the SafLager 23 to low.......we shall see.

Haven't tried it yet. Still lagering. Might put it on the gas next week and check and see how it tastes.

tronnyjenkins - I wouldn't recommend a Bock as a first lager, just because of their high gravity, which can be an issue once you start making a starter.

I would go with a style with an OG 1.045 - 1.055, just so making the starter isn't a huge pain. For these a 1 gal starter would be sufficient, doing it in two steps: make a 1/2 gal starter in a 1 gal container, let ferment for 3 days, then add in another 1/2 gal of cooled wort to make a total vol of 1 gal. Let that ferment for another 2 days, then crash cool the starter to sediment the yeast. Then decant the spent wort and pitch only the slurry at the bottom.

Oh yeah, swirl the starter ever time you walk by it (or use a stir plate is you have one)

I would go for a Pils (Czech or German), Vienna lager, Schwartzbier, or an Oktoberfest/Maerzen style.

I've invented my first recipe, and it as far as the BJCP goes, it's a munich dunkel.
However, the post boil is 1.051, so I guess that should be cool.
Not trying to thread-jack, but thanks for the tips!

I made Munich Dunkel with a similar OG, used 100% Munich II malt. It was great!

Back