Help with lager like beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ax89

Reaction score
I want to do a hybrid lager (AG). By that i mean use lager malt and hops and probably an ale yeast (i think you get steam beer yeasts) as i wont be able to reach anything but 18-21 deg C temps.

I want to use 2 x 5L supermarket water bottles to ferment in so hence a 10L batch. Thing is i don't have a wort chiller and sparging will be primitive if that at all.

I thought i could mash in a 15L stockpot on the oven hob, and just filter the wort through a regular sieve into another vessel and after cleaning the stockpot refill the stockpot with the wort for the boil and hops adds. After the boil i was hopeing to just cool the wort in a sink of cold water and then fill the 2 water bottles with the wort and pitch the yeast. Think this will work?

Any idea of a lager recipe for a 10L batch?

You probably don't want to try to use a sieve. Search on here (or elsewhere) for 'brew in a bag' or BIAB. Might be what you are looking for.

As far as a recipe, I would just use 100% pilsner malt or add a bit of specialty malt based on your preference. Hop as you like. you should have access to good noble hops. :)

4.5 lbs malt should get you into the 1.040 -1.050 range depending on your efficiency, and it should take less than an ounce of a noble hop to get your bittering right. maybe .5-.75 ounce. (used beersmith to do some quick calcs)

Also, if I'm not mistaken, a "steam" beer is more typically made with lager yeast at ale temps, not necessarily with ale yeast as you've suggested. I don't know if that'll affect your recipe at all...

lager malt? explain that one.

and yes, steam beers are made with lager yeast, fermented at ale temps (coolish ale temp range usually)

I want to do a hybrid lager (AG). By that i mean use lager malt and hops...

:confused:

Malts and hops are not exactly specific to either style. Yeast is, to a certain extent. However, defining the difference between the two (ale vs. lager) is more about fermentation temperature and duration. The difference of yeast comes into play associated with which strains thrive best at specific temperature ranges.

Back