help with kegging than bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnbrewer371

Reaction score
in an effort to not overfill a keg again, which cause a gigantic headache, and in an additional effort to not waste any of my hardwork down the drain or drank uncarbed, im considering bottling any leftover beer after the keg is filled. Whats the best way to go about doing this? I guess my options are carbonation tabs in each bottle, or using a measured amount of dextrose in each bottle? what amount of dextrose in each bottle would you use?

the best way would be to add a priming solution to all 5 gallons (after racking off of the yeast and trub). To make a priming solution: Boil 3/4 cup of corn sugar (4 oz by weight), or 2/3 cup of white sugar, or 1 and 1/4 cup dry malt extract in 2 cups of water and let it cool.

But I'm going to force carb in the keg and don't want the residual sweetness so a carb tab or some priming sugar measured into each bottle would be best? How much to use if I don't go with the carbing tabs I guess is the question? Anyone have any experience with the carbing tabs? Do they work well?

If after you fill the keg you know the volume you have left you can use a calculator such as in beersmith to determine the amount of corn sugar to prime the remainder with.

Why not just say:

4oz per 5 gallons (640oz)

or

640 ---12
--- = --- = .075 oz per 12fl bottle
4oz ----X

.075oz = 2.126g per bottle

Yeah, unless you really want to naturally carbonate in the keg, I don't see a reason to prime the whole batch. For me, a couple of the main benefits of force carbing are a) not having to wait for natural carbonation to finish and b) not ending up with a bunch of sediment from natural carbing.

This seems like the perfect use for carbonation tabs - just pop one in each bottle and call it good. I think the main argument against them is that they're expensive and unnecessary for carbing a whole 5gal batch, but if you're just doing a few bottles on the side that's not a big concern.

Another alternative is to get one or two of the carbonator caps (as seen below) and put the extra beer in 2L bottles, then force carb with the cap. That's what I'm doing with a current batch that came out to about 6 gallons.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/the-carbonator.html

I bottle the remainder of my batch and add about 3/4 teaspoon of cane sugar to each of my 500ml bottles. This seams to give me the carbonation I want.

I bottle a few extras every batch. I have used both Munton's carb tabs and the Cooper's drops. The Munton's tabs look like aspirins and the Cooper's look like big candy gum drops.

With the Munton's carb tabs you use 4 or 5 in a twelv oz bottle and 8 in a twenty two. With the Cooper's drops you use one in a 12'r and two in a 22. Sometimes the Munton's tabs will leave little floatie things in the neck your beer that look like just a little bit of irish moss. Not much though.

Sure, they are more expensive than priming sugar, but we are talking about a few bottles and not a 5 gallon batch. They both work well. I guess I prefer the Cooper's drops a little bit over the Munton's tabs.

How big are your batches? You really shouldn't have enough to bottle left over.

_

Back