Help with k-rims idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentK

Rootsbrew
Reaction score
Hey everyone so I have an Anvil Foundry currently and have been wanting to upgrade to something bigger. I have been going back and fourth and my question is can I buy a ss brewtech infusion mash tun and run a continuous loop into my Anvil and back in to the mash tun as a form of K-RIMs? Similar to how a brew easy works? Any help would be appreciated!

Probably cheaper and easier to upgrade to the 18 gallon foundry.
Yeah I considered that. I feel like I kind of want to move away from the all in one narrow tall mash tun and into a more basic kettle size.

Why? Move to a different shape, that is.

Infussion is identical in size to the Foundry assuming you have the 10.5. Seems like a lot of money and also an unnecessary process change, just to have something the same size but a different shape.

Why? Move to a different shape, that is.

Infussion is identical in size to the Foundry assuming you have the 10.5. Seems like a lot of money and also an unnecessary process change, just to have something the same size but a different shape.
I don't really like the foundry malt pipe. I switched to a brew bag but I would prefer to not have to hoist a bag or anything.

Lift the bag and move it to something else to drain for a while? Maybe a bucket with a colander. Use the bucket for other things like cleaning or storage.

Brewing in your house, garage, basement? Maybe the hoist isn't that big a deal.

Even w/ the Infussion you still have to mess with the grains afterwards, plust the thing itself is maybe 20 additional pounds.

It's not that you shouldn't get one, I have one, I positively love it. But - seems like maybe there could be other ways to change the aspects you don't like.

Lift the bag and move it to something else to drain for a while? Maybe a bucket with a colander. Use the bucket for other things like cleaning or storage.

Brewing in your house, garage, basement? Maybe the hoist isn't that big a deal.

Even w/ the Infussion you still have to mess with the grains afterwards, plust the thing itself is maybe 20 additional pounds.

It's not that you shouldn't get one, I have one, I positively love it. But - seems like maybe there could be other ways to change the aspects you don't like.
I brew in my basement now and I have a hoist on the ceiling. It's not that big of a deal I just want to upgrade in size and figure it would be a good time to move away from the bag.

It's hard for me to understand the motivation to move away from a bag. I've been using a bag for about 5 years now and have tried all kinds of baskets since then and I hate them. I've tried kettle RIMS and occasionally brew on 3 vessel HERMS systems and while it's plenty fun, it's too long of a brew day and too much cleanup for my taste. Long story short, the more systems I brew on, the more a single vessel eBIAB rig is being solidified as my forever brewing method.

The primary pros of my bag system is that there is no system more temperature stable, or faster at doing temperature ramps. 4 hour brew days and one kettle to clean. I only brew 6 gallon batches, but my good friend has a larger version of my system and brews 12-15 gallon batches all the same. I think 10-12 gallons is comfortable enough on a hoisted bag system. Above that, I'd probably go 3 vessel.

Don't underestimate the complexity jump of a 2 vessel kettle RIMS or 3 vessel HERMS. It's significant.

It's hard for me to understand the motivation to move away from a bag. I've been using a bag for about 5 years now and have tried all kinds of baskets since then and I hate them. I've tried kettle RIMS and occasionally brew on 3 vessel HERMS systems and while it's plenty fun, it's too long of a brew day and too much cleanup for my taste. Long story short, the more systems I brew on, the more a single vessel eBIAB rig is being solidified as my forever brewing method.

The primary pros of my bag system is that there is no system more temperature stable, or faster at doing temperature ramps. 4 hour brew days and one kettle to clean. I only brew 6 gallon batches, but my good friend has a larger version of my system and brews 12-15 gallon batches all the same. I think 10-12 gallons is comfortable enough on a hoisted bag system. Above that, I'd probably go 3 vessel.

Don't underestimate the complexity jump of a 2 vessel kettle RIMS or 3 vessel HERMS. It's significant.
These are good points. Maybe I'll have to reconsider my options. Would you recommend a bag in the anvil 18 order the malt pipe. I know they changed it around but haven't heard much else.

I would certainly give the new "blichmann" style false bottom in the malt pipe a chance. If you don't like the tall skinny basket design, you might as well save the money and just get a 65 liter Digiboil and put the bag in that. If you want to go with more of a Cadillac version of a bag system, this is the one I brew on. Premium Recirculating Electric (240v) BIAB Package (SPIKE brand kettle)

These are good points. Maybe I'll have to reconsider my options. Would you recommend a bag in the anvil 18 order the malt pipe. I know they changed it around but haven't heard much else.
Years ago, I upgraded to a 2 vessel, K-RIMS setup similar to this "High Gravity/Wort Hog" system Wort Hog 2-Vessel │ 10 gallon. In the beginning of the year, I decided to convert my old Megapot boil kettle to an eBIAB rig based on Bobbys Brewhardware design. Everything he mentions in post #8 echos my experience. This new setup is one I will grow older with. Never underestimate the benefits of simplification and shortening the "not so much fun" aspects of brew-day.

I just want to upgrade in size

So the Infussion is the same size. Do you plan to boil in a separate kettle? Stove, propane, electric?

An 18g Anvil with a 240 Outlet would be hella convenient. Even with their drawbacks, the all-in-ones have a lot going for them.

As for the current system, they tend to run out of stock frequently, if yours is in good shape I bet you would easily sell it.

I love my Grainfather system . I also brew on a 3bbl stout rims . The AIO systems are great for homebrewing.

Back