Help with Hopside Down IPL clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonmo

Reaction score
My new favorite beer is Widmer Brothers Hopside Down India Pale lager. Hoppy and bitter, clear, clean and crisp, it's just delicious. I'd like to brew a clone of this as a partial mash recipe. From their website, I found this information:

50 IBU
6.7 % ABV
15.0 plato
Malts: Pale, Caramel 10L
Hops: alchemy, cascade
Cold fermented
no yeast information available

I'm not experienced enough to build a partial mash recipe from just this information, but I'm hoping some of you might be? I'll toast any/all who can help!

I agree. If I find something i will post back. Just had this tonight for the first time. It was listed at the bar as an IPA. Never heard of an IPL till this one.

I typically use magnum for all my widmer clones, but I'm pretty sure they blend their 60 min additions. Probably horizon and warrior somethin like that.

On a side note, if you can find Downward Spiral, its the same beer as hopside down, just beefed up to 9% ABV and aged on oak spirals. I highly recommend it.

I'm with you. I definitely love the Hopside down IPL. It's great for a lighter beer when you're not up for a full blown IPA.

If you come up with a recipe, I'd love to give it a shot also. I have brewed a somewhat clone of Widmer's X-114 IPA and it has the alchemy hops in it also. I know that is a heavy Citra blend with I think Warrior and Horizon also.

Hope that helps a little. I'd love to know what you come up with!

I'm with you. I definitely love the Hopside down IPL. It's great for a lighter beer when you're not up for a full blown IPA.

If you come up with a recipe, I'd love to give it a shot also. I have brewed a somewhat clone of Widmer's X-114 IPA and it has the alchemy hops in it also. I know that is a heavy Citra blend with I think Warrior and Horizon also.

Hope that helps a little. I'd love to know what you come up with!

Swmbo LOVESSSSSS X-114
Would you pm me the recipe you used? We had a flight the last time we went to the gasthaus pub and she fell in love with that one, Nelson iipa and pitch black ipa.

Swmbo LOVESSSSSS X-114
Would you pm me the recipe you used? We had a flight the last time we went to the gasthaus pub and she fell in love with that one, Nelson iipa and pitch black ipa.

Here is the recipe that I have come up with. It's not a clone per se, but it is similar to the X-114. It's a partial mash for 5 gal btw. Let me know if you try it. I'ts pretty good in my opinion. Enjoy!

Malt:
5 lbs. Briess DME Golden Light
1.5 lbs. Cara/crystal malt 10L
.5 lbs. cara-pils/dextrine

Hops:
60 min- 1 oz. of equal parts Magnum, Warrior, and Horizon
10 min- 1 oz. Citra
0 min- 1 oz. Citra
7 days- 1 oz. Citra (dry hop)

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Irish moss- 1 tsp. at 30 min.

I see your last post was back in November, I'm curious how this turned out for you. I read in a different thread that someone spoke to a server at the widmer bro brew pub and she said they used a lager yeast but fermented it at ale temperatures.

Back