Help with force carbonating - Is my beer ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmjcllc

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been homebrewing for a while and just got my corney keg and CO2 setup. I tried to force carbonate my beer today, so I applied pressure, shook up the beer in the corney keg, and let it sit. I then noticed that I had a leak on the beer side so I let all of the pressure out, replaced the O-ring, and then reapplied the pressure. It does not seem to be carbonating as well as before I let out the pressure. I have shook it up a lot and applied about 12 lbs of pressure. Do I just need to be paitient and let it sit for about a day or is something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Brian

1) Beer is fine
2) Is the corny holding pressure? Which rings did you replace?
3) How many volumes of CO2 are you shooting for?

I believe that it is holding pressure. I can turn it up to about 30 psi to seat the cap? I am really not sure on the volumes, it's an ESB.

Hey guys, I have been homebrewing for a while and just got my corney keg and CO2 setup. I tried to force carbonate my beer today, so I applied pressure, shook up the beer in the corney keg, and let it sit. I then noticed that I had a leak on the beer side so I let all of the pressure out, replaced the O-ring, and then reapplied the pressure. It does not seem to be carbonating as well as before I let out the pressure. I have shook it up a lot and applied about 12 lbs of pressure. Do I just need to be paitient and let it sit for about a day or is something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Brian

It will take a couple of weeks sitting at 12 psi to get a proper carbonation level. If you are looking to drink in a couple of days, then take a look at some of the threads on force carbonation.

shake with about 20 psi for a good 3 minutes, leave it overnight at 20psi

wake up, purge, set to 5 (this all while the keg is in the keezer of course) and drink

Back