Help with first Robust Porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Be

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I only have 3 beer batches under my belt so I'm still quite new to recipe creation. I want to create an easy drinking robust porter.

I was looking at the BJCP guidelines and tried piecing one together. If anyone would spend a few minutes looking it over and give me some feedback I would be very grateful.

The recipe so far is as follows:

Batch size: 1.85 gallons

Malts:

Pale Malt 3.53 lb (87%) Mash
Caramel Malt 80L 3.53 oz (5%) Steep
2-Row Black Malt 2.65 oz (4%) Steep
Chocolate Malt 1.76 oz (2%) Steep

Hops:

Target Great Britain 0.35 oz 60 min Boil Leaf (AA 11.0%)
Goldings, East Kent 0.18 oz 10 min Boil Leaf (AA 5.0%)
Goldings, East Kent 0.18 oz 5 min Boil Leaf (AA 5.0%)
Goldings, East Kent 0.35 oz 3 min Boil Leaf (AA 5.0%)

Yeast:
Safale S-04

Additionals:
A handful of oats (not sure when to add)

Predicted values:
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.018
ABV: 5.5%
IBU: 38
SRM: 32
IBU/OG: 0.63 (bitter)

Thank you in advance.

Looking at a few robust porters that have gotten good reviews (Biermuencher's Black Pearl, Conpewter's Robust Bumpus, and Ed Wort's Bee Cave Robust Porter), generally the chocolate malt and crystal malts are set at about 7-9% of the grist, and the black malt, when used, is at about 2-3%. As your recipe sits now, I think that it's going to lack the well-rounded, pleasant, roasted flavor that we look for in a robust porter, but might have a harshness from too much black malt.

Black Pearl has oats, mashed, at about 8% of the grist, for smooth mouthfeel. Bee Cave has flaked barley for the same reason.

38 IBU is hoppier than most robust porter recipes that I've seen, but it is, after all, your beer, and if you like hoppy porters then clearly that's the direction you'll want to take. I think that Target and Goldings are good choices for the purpose.

My recent robust porter that turned out absolutely delicious with a beautiful red hue was as follows:

OG: 1.061

78.7% Maris Otter
6.6% Brown Malt
4.9% Chocolate
4.9% English Medium Crystal 55L
4.9% Carapils

35 IBU Willamette

Thank you for all your replies. They've given me a better idea. A question though.. Would the beer become "dull" if i remove the last two hop additions @ 5 and 3 minutes, respectively?

The guidelines say that late hop additions and/or dry hopping are acceptable in American versions so I'd say go for it. You can only know by brewing it!

The guidelines say that late hop additions and/or dry hopping are acceptable in American versions so I'd say go for it. You can only know by brewing it!

You are right. Thanks for everyone's input. I switched the amounts chocolate and black malts around as wailingguitar suggested. I'll try to remember to post a pic and tasting notes when it has been brewed. Thanks again.

Looking at a few robust porters that have gotten good reviews (Biermuencher's Black Pearl, Conpewter's Robust Bumpus, and Ed Wort's Bee Cave Robust Porter), generally the chocolate malt and crystal malts are set at about 7-9% of the grist, and the black malt, when used, is at about 2-3%. As your recipe sits now, I think that it's going to lack the well-rounded, pleasant, roasted flavor that we look for in a robust porter, but might have a harshness from too much black malt.

Black Pearl has oats, mashed, at about 8% of the grist, for smooth mouthfeel. Bee Cave has flaked barley for the same reason.

38 IBU is hoppier than most robust porter recipes that I've seen, but it is, after all, your beer, and if you like hoppy porters then clearly that's the direction you'll want to take. I think that Target and Goldings are good choices for the purpose.

One last question.. When you say "chocolate malt and crystal malts are set at about 7-9% of the grist", does that mean 7-9% of the total grist is chocolate malt and another 7-9% of the grist is crystal malt? Or does it mean that the chocolate and crystal comprise around 7-9% of the total grist together?

Back