Help with first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptordc

Reaction score
So I'm new to brewing and I just racked my first batch from my primary fermentation bucket to my secondary glass carboy. Everything seemed fine, sanitized the carboy / siphon, put the airlock on. Tasted a sample of the beer and it seemed good.

I stupidly left the glass carboy in my living room near a window for a day before realizing I should keep it somewhere dark. Now I can see some white patches of something floating on the surface of the liquid.

I take it this is dead yeast, probably not mold since I was very careful with sanitizing. The question is, did the light kill the yeast? What should I do? I am still noticing a few bubbles in the airlock, maybe every few minutes so I guess there's still some fermentation going on.

As far as fermentation goes, you didn't affect it. Light is bad for beer, though. Gets skunky.

Ok. But the white patches are nothing to worry about? Should I rack to another fermenter to leave those behind?

So do you think the beer will be ok if I go ahead and bottle it?

I usually rack to a bottling bucket beforehand anyway. Might help clarify the beer a little bit.

Probably just yeast rafts or something similar, but without pics it could be abominable snowman fur...

Not the greatest picture, but I would guess it is just CO2 bubbles on yeast. It seems common to get that pattern (ring just inside of the perimeter of the perimeter of the carboy) because of the shape of the bottom of the carboy.

Could be something malicious, but I think it is likely nothing.

Back