Help with final gravity issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkrogue

Reaction score
First off I apologize if this is been covered I'm sure it has but each Brewers issues may be specific. I just finished brewing my fifth batch all grain, gravity seems way too high. All my batches have ended with a gravity about eight or nine points higher than I expected. Ive brewed different beers, stouts, porters, IPAs, all with the same results. I thought the issue was my water because I have a ion exchanger water softener. I've since started using bottled water. I also bought a stir plate and started using yeast starters to make sure I'm pitching the proper amount of yeast but I'm still getting the same results. My last recipe is an IPa using 12 pounds a maris otter, half a pound of victory and a quarter pound of 40l, a quarter of 10l, and a half pound of carapils. final gravity shld have been 1011. Outside of yeast, and this starter was prepared using bottled water, two tubes of wl001, both relatively fresh, and a yeast nutrient, or water, which was 100% bottled spring water, is there something in my process that could affect my fermentation? I should also say in a different batch, I've pitched another vial about two weeks in and it moved the fg about one point. My ambient temps are around 65-70, so I'm covering my glass carboy with a wet towel and hitting it with a fan to keep temps low. Fermometer says temps throughout fermentation were around 68-70. Thx for any help y'all.

Additional pure O2 prior to pitching is a start. How are you aerating now?

You could always add table sugar at flameout in liu of more grain/extract to bump up your initial gravity but with it being close to 100% fermentable can help dry out your final gravity.... though that doesn't answer the questions you've got.

How long are your fermentations? Primary only? Which strains of yeast are we talking?

I've been real successful drying out heavy OG belgian strongs with 3787 by ramping up the temp the last few days with a brew belt (on the advice of some folks here)... but I only need that technique in certain circumstances.

I agree, oxygen could definitely be the issue. Also what are your mash temps? If you mash higher towards 160 the beer will be less fermentable than mashing at 150. Also, you are adding DME to your starter too right, not just water and yeast nutrient?

Oxygen seems like a constant variable in all the different batches. Mash temps are are btwn 148-152 ish. To aerate I've still been shaking the fermenter like madman for a few minutes. In every batch. I shake it rigorously for more than 3 minutes. Not enough? Do I need to get pure O2. Thanks

Dme in the starter, although now that dme is about a yr old. (Wasn't before though). Using white labs, mainly Cali ale 001. Fermentation times have been towards 4 woks in primary!

Hello, I think tooldudetool hit the nail on the head, double check your thermometer, it sounds like your mash temps are high.

My new thermometer is 5 deg low right out of the box, I bought it because my old one was 8 deg off.

Cheers :mug:

Just wanted to say thanks again party people. I invested in a new thermapen, even though I tested my old thermometer and it seemed to be only a degree off, nailed the mash temps and my final og within a point. I'll take that. Peace!

Back