Help with electric pump/VSD wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auger

Reaction score
This isn't strictly related to electric brewing but figured it's probably the best place to get a good answer. I was able to source some NOS industrial pumping equipment that I'm hoping to convert for brewing use. The problem is it's all 480V 3ph equipment (I obviously don't have this in my basement). The VSD is a Toshiba transistor inverter that can accept both 1ph and 3ph power.

What I think I can do is get a step-up transformer to go from 120V wall power to 480V single phase into the VSD, then wire the VSD to the pump motor and control the pump motor speed with it.

First question is where the heck can I find a reasonably price transformer to go from 120V to 480V, and second question is will the pump have any issue if I'm only starting with single phase power?

id sell what you got and buy better suited stuff if it were me.. your going to likely spend more than its worth to make it work.... 24v dc pumps that work fine for homebrewing start at $20

What's the power requirement for the motor on the pump? 20A @ 120V will give you less than 5A @ 480V after transformer losses. You will also have losses in the VSD.

Brew on :mug:

Back