Help with controller build please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUST_BREW_IT

Reaction score
I am an AG brewer that is looking to make the move from propane to electric. I'm wanting to keep things simple for now but leave room for future growth should I choose to do so. I use a 25 gallon aluminum vessel as my brew kettle. I also have a keggle set up as a hlt. I mash in a 150 qt coleman extreme. I have a chugger ss with camlock fittings on everything. I also have both a 50' immersion chiller and a blichman therminator as well. Just to give you a run down of my set up. My typical batches are either 10 or 15 gallons.

Here is my thought process. I have my eye on the 20 gallon version of the boil coil which equates to a 5000W element and requires a 30A breaker which I will be plugging into my dryer outlet in the basement.

I'm thinking of building a simple controller like this (or have my electrician friend help me). This is a plan developed by hbt member 'P-J' and posted in this thread

external-link

Electric Brewers, let me know if you feel this will meet my needs or if I am forgetting anything here.

Thanks in advance!!!

I don't know much about the boil coil, but I have some concerns about the aluminum kettle. I use a 15g aluminum kettle and it's thick. The issue I had with installation of an element (Kal's design) was that the kettle is so thick it makes it very difficult to install the element with no leaks. There is not much thread left on the element to play with. Just a warning.

As far as the controller is concerned, make sure you are gfci protected. For me, I have no ground going to my 240v outlet (HHN in) and made a spa panel for gfci protection and the added ground (HHNG out). The spa panel was around 50$ from HD.

I myself use a pwm to control the boil. It's a cheap and easy fix that allows you to dial up or down the intensity of the boil. Nothing at all wrong with using a PID though.

Latest posts

Back