Help with bottling!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDBREWER

Reaction score
First time brewing and as I bottled I was told to put 1/2 tspn in each bottle instead of pouring all 2 cups of priming sugar into my 5 gallon batch. I made the two cups mixed in my 1/2 tspn and bottled. Now I am being told they meant the bottling sugar not in the liquid state! What can I do to fix this???

Thank you

Even in the dry state, that is not a good way to carbonate beer. Perhaps if you measured it by weight and were extremely consistent with fill level. Anyway, not quite following you...First you say two cups of priming sugar, IIRC a five gallon batch needs around 3/4 cup (but, its been ages since I've carbed that way so I could be wrong). Second, it sounds like you are saying you mixed two cups of sugar into a solution of some sort and then put 1/2 tsp of that into each bottle?

We may be able to help you calculate an approximate CO2 volume you will have after the beer is fully conditioned.

How much priming sugar did you mix with the 2 cups of water to make the solution?
How many bottles did you add 1/2 tsp of the priming solution to?

Did I understand your post correctly??

First time brewing and as I bottled I was told to put 1/2 tspn in each bottle instead of pouring all 2 cups of priming sugar into my 5 gallon batch. I made the two cups mixed in my 1/2 tspn and bottled. Now I am being told they meant the bottling sugar not in the liquid state! What can I do to fix this???

Thank you

I think I get what you are saying. No big deal, just boil up the 2 cups again with the 3/4 cup of sugar and then divide it equally amongst all your beer bottles. If you need to, dump a little out to make room.

I think I get what you are saying. No big deal, just boil up the 2 cups again with the 3/4 cup of sugar and then divide it equally amongst all your beer bottles. If you need to, dump a little out to make room.
So I had a brewers best kit with 5 oz of priming sugars I put the two cups in a pot and boiled it up I did 28 12 oz bottles and 12 22oz bottles the 22 oz bottles got 3/4 tspn. But from what I understand now I should have just put the sugars in there instead of adding water first is that correct? And if so can I open my bottles back up and put more in and then close them back up???

Yes you understood correctly I added 5oz of the priming sugars to two cups of water brought the water to a boil and mixed in the 5oz I then added 3/4 tspn to 12 22 oz bottles and 1/2 tspn to 28 12oz bottles then filled my bottles and capped

Why don't you use a bottling bucket? add your priming solution then rack your beer on top then bottle? that's how I do it. Your way seems way more trouble than it needs to be.

I did use a bottling bucket but I was told to do it this way instead to reduce sediment in my beer. So I tried that way but apparently I did not completely understand what my fellow brewer was telling me idk if I'm better to leave it or open the bottles and add priming sugars

Ok, you have added about 4 ounces of your 16 ounces of priming solution to your batch, or about 25% of what's required.

I would open the beers and add 3/4 of the original required amount of table sugar as you have already added 1/4 of what's required.

For an American pale ale this would be 3/4 of a half teaspoon.

I would use a scant 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per 12 oz bottle, and double that for the 12 oz bombers.

Redbrewer, I don't know the fix but here's advice for the future. I too brew 5 gallon batches and bottle. Heat up your priming sugar as you start transferring the secondary into your bottling bucket. With about a quarter of the secondary in the bucket, pour all of the priming sugar into the bucket. While the secondary is being transferred it automatically stirs the prime and no need to worry about measuring separately for each bottle. I've always done this and never had an issue with carbonation in any of the bottles. Cheers!

Back