Help with an all grain wheat, first one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrk305

Beer Dude in the Sunset
Reaction score
I have never made a wheat beer, but I drank one this week that I liked and thought I would like to try one. I have been looking at recipes for the last couple of days, and seeing mash temps of 149 for 90 minutes are recomended....

..... after that, what kind of sparge temps should I use? I have never used wheat before.

I am thinking about something dry with some rye and coriander. Suggestions?

I have never made a wheat beer, but I drank one this week that I liked and thought I would like to try one. I have been looking at recipes for the last couple of days, and seeing mash temps of 149 for 90 minutes are recomended....

..... after that, what kind of sparge temps should I use? I have never used wheat before.

I am thinking about something dry with some rye and coriander. Suggestions?

for 5g, use 5.5 lbs wheat, 4.5 lbs 2-row. mash at 152. sparge at 168. i have 12g hefe fermenting right now that i just brewed yesterday with those ratios. that'll run about 5%

Two things universal to all wheat beers: the kernels are smaller than barley so adjust your mill accordingly, and they don't have a husk so anything over 50% wheat, depending on your lautering rig, start thinking of some rice hulls. Other than that it's not really any different.

Since you haven't named a style but mentioned coriander, I'm led to believe you're after a witbier, yesno? 'Cause spices in a hefeweizen would be gross, not to mention heresy..

Two things universal to all wheat beers: the kernels are smaller than barley so adjust your mill accordingly, and they don't have a husk so anything over 50% wheat, depending on your lautering rig, start thinking of some rice hulls. Other than that it's not really any different.

+1 on adjusting the mill gap, and adding rice hulls to prevent stuck sparge.

Since you haven't named a style but mentioned coriander, I'm led to believe you're after a witbier, yesno? 'Cause spices in a hefeweizen would be gross, not to mention heresy..

....... to be honest, I don't have a clue with this style of beer. I read a bunch of recipes over the weekend, and I was thinking of a nuetral type yeast. I don't want a banana flavor at all. I also don't want a beer full of yeast.

Most of the recipes I read are low on IBU's, so I was thinking the some rye or coriander might balance it out. This is totally new to me. That is why I asked for suggestions.

Brewing Classic Styles is always a nice starting point. There is one listed in there under American Wheat/Rye.

6 lbs American 2 Row
6 lbs. Wheat Malt

Willamette 5% 1oz at 60
Willamette 5% .3 oz at 0
Centennial .3 oz. at 0

If you want the rye option replace a portion of the wheat malt with 3.75 lbs of rye malt.
Mash at 152. Use a neutral yeast like WLP001 or WLP320

I would definately recommend rice hulls with wheat a ry malt.

Good point. Lots of the recipes I was looking at recomended rice hulls. I have never used them before either, but Edwort soaks his first to avoid extra absorbtion. I have never seen them before at the LHBS, but I have never looked for them either.

I will be buying the ingredients for this one next Saturday. Tommorow I will be brewing my usual 7% abv IPA.

I like a 13 pound grain bill with my set up. Maybe...

7 lbs 2 row
5 lbs wheat
1 lb rye ?

You apparently want an american wheat. German wheats are usually estery with some banana, clove, bubble gum, etc., all created by the use of a hefewiesen yeast (i.e., Wyeast 3068). German wheats always are at least 50% wheat. Noble hops like hallertau are used, usually only for bittering (i.e., 60 minute addition).

American Wheats are much more mainstream with a neutral yeast and less wheat. Citrusy coriander is common, too. Think Blue Moon. If you don't like the fruit, leave it out. American wheats also usually have late hop additions with cascade or centennial or some other citrusy hop. I like to add a subtle addition of some fruit (orange zest!).

If you don't know what type you want, I highly recommend finding a beer store that does the "build your own 6 pack" and get a few different styles.

Here is what I'd recommend:

Hefeweizen - Paulaner Hefeweizen, Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
This is the traditional German wheat beer. Grist usually contains up to 50% wheat malt. Pilsner malt is used for the rest. Use a weizen yeast to get the classic bananna/clove esters.

Witbier - Hoegaarden, Allagash White
This is a Belgian style, which usually uses spices such as orange peel, coriander, sometimes pepper and chamomile. Witbiers will employ a bit of unmalted wheat for that classic turbidness which comes primarily from the extra starches. Other grains should be malted wheat and pilsner malt. Use a Belgian yeast or a yeast that specifically says "witbier". Some may use a touch of acidualted malt in the grist which will lend a nice tartness to the beer.

American Wheat - Bell's Oberon, Widmer Hefeweizen
Can be cloudy or clear. Can have some American hop aroma and flavor, but is not required. Use up to 30% wheat malt and American 2 row for the rest of the grist. Pick a neutral American ale yeast. I've never tried it, but Jamil says the key to American Wheats is using a Kolsch yeast at the lower end of their fermentation range.

Maybe...
7 lbs 2 row
5 lbs wheat
1 lb rye ?
Just tapped the keg on my second batch of American Wheat. It's very similar to your proposed recipe. 50% wheat and 5% rye, but with all Amarillo hops. The Amarillo gives a delicious citrus, orange tang without the addition of fruit. I go heavy on the late additions and dry hop to bring out all the flavor and aroma that Amarillo has to offer. Use aclean; well attenuating American yeast and you’ll have a fine summer beer.

If you go the Belgian Wit route and use unmalted wheat (I use torrified wheat berries), and do a protein rest. I've done several batches of wit that turned out great and no mash problems when I let the unmalted wheat rest at 125F for 20 minutes.

TB

Definately going for the American wheat. Hey Edcculus... good suggeston on trying a mixed 6 pack, but that is not legal here do to local ordinance. You cannot buy a single beer here unless it is a 22 oz. We will have no light drinking in Lilburn, GA. You must buy at least a 4 or 6 pack of 12 oz beer. It's the LAW!

...... and I love Amarillo hops. I use them about every third beer. The first recipe I read was Edworts Bavarian Hef, but some guy posted that it tasted like juicey fruit gum, and that immediatly turned me off.

Definately going for the American wheat. Hey Edcculus... good suggeston on trying a mixed 6 pack, but that is not legal here do to local ordinance. You cannot buy a single beer here unless it is a 22 oz. We will have no light drinking in Lilburn, GA. You must buy at least a 4 or 6 pack of 12 oz beer. It's the LAW!

It's probably a remnant of puritan prohibition laws. There was most likely a reason for that that has nothing to do with favoring alcohol consumers.

BTW, you can't go wrong with an American Wheat. If you want, see the Bell's Oberon Clone thread for some ideas.

TiberprefersfreedomofchoiceBrew

It's probably a remnant of puritan prohibition laws. There was most likely a reason for that that has nothing to do with favoring alcohol consumers.

You can't buy one for the road.

You can't buy one for the road.

Damn! Those sneaky b*stards! ;)

In Pennsylvania, they have "brew throughs" where you drive into a building, tell them what you want, and they put it in your car, you pay, then you're off! You don't even have to get out of your car. That's 'one for the road' if you ask me!

Good luck with your beer! :mug:

Good luck with your beer! :mug:

Oh yeah, the beer.... back to one of my questions. Are the sparge temps different on a wheat beer?

I usually mash for an hour at 151 (and I have seen 90 minute mash on a few wheat recipes, so I will too) and sparge twice with 180 degree water and end up with a grain temp of 170 after sparging.

Is this too hot for a wheat?

Oh yeah, the beer.... back to one of my questions. Are the sparge temps different on a wheat beer?

I usually mash for an hour at 151 (and I have seen 90 minute mash on a few wheat recipes, so I will too) and sparge twice with 180 degree water and end up with a grain temp of 170 after sparging.

Is this too hot for a wheat?

No, sparge temps are the same. That will be fine.

I got my ingredients today. I have been reading a lot and it turns out there is a style for this in the guidlindes. American Wheat Ale without yeast. There is a style for light and dark, and this will be about in the middle.

The LHBS was out of Amarillo hops, so I got citra and saaz. When I got home I did some more reading about the citra, and I think I made a good choice. It has a unique fruity taste.

I was playing with beer calculators when I got home, and this will be too strong and too hoppy to be within the guidlines, but so are all my beers, so what's new.

Brew day will be Tuesday and the first sample should be around Sept 1st.

I have been reading a lot and it turns out there is a style for this in the guidlindes. American Wheat Ale without yeast.

Sounds like you are reading the BA guide - most of us as homebrewers are looking at the BJCP guidelines, where about a dozen BA styles would fit into category 6D alone! By far my favorite beer in the style (except Full Moon, which belongs in 10A or B!:mad:) is Sierra Nevada Crystal Wheat. Good luck finding it outside of Chico, though!

i use wb-06 for all my wheats. it has gone way up in price recently, though. pretty soon, it'll be up there with liquid yeast

I was planning on using Nottingham yeast, as I do in just about everything I brew. I have never experimented with other yeasts, except when making mead or Apfelwine.

Considering I have brewed over 150 batches, I am not at all advanced. I learned how to brew all grain and kind of stopped learning. I brew basically the same thing every week, but change my specialty grains and the hops.

I have been spending a lot more time reading here on HBT lately. I am also thinking of meeting some local homebrewers to further advance my skills.

I always use the white labs klosch yeast.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp029.html

I followed the american wheat recipe from brewing classic style. Has to be one of the best beers I've ever brewed.

The late hop additions bring a nice flavor, and the wlp29 is one of my absolute favorite yeasts. It has a certain clarity to it with a nice bready flavor without having to have it floating in the beer.

I find the american wheat to be a nice beer in summer and a good introduction. Many people who don't like beer are amazed by this beer.

Hey Dracus,
Cool Link to the whitelabs website, and good reading and reviews on there, but too late. The LHBS is now closed until Tuesday, and Tuesday is brewday. So it will be what it will be. I have been planning this beer for a couple weeks now and I guess I should have asked yeast questions.

I also wish I had more citra hops to use as late additions, but again, it will be what it will be.... unless...

Unless a local homebrewer with some WLP029 and an ounce of citra hops wants to stop by Tuesday before 8:30 p.m. pitch time and have a few. I get started about 3:30. BYO mashtun and brewpot.

I always use the white labs klosch yeast.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp029.html

I followed the american wheat recipe from brewing classic style. Has to be one of the best beers I've ever brewed.

The late hop additions bring a nice flavor, and the wlp29 is one of my absolute favorite yeasts. It has a certain clarity to it with a nice bready flavor without having to have it floating in the beer.

I find the american wheat to be a nice beer in summer and a good introduction. Many people who don't like beer are amazed by this beer.

Cool...I'm doing an American Wheat next and I was wondering if that Jamil recipe was a good one, including his reference to Kolsch yeast. Thanks for making my decision for me!!!

I brewed this one last Tuesday 7/20. It will primary for three more weeks probably and then in the keg for two weeks before it is sampled. I did get another ounce of Citra hops that were added to the first and second runnings as a FWH. That sat for about an hour before I started heating it to a boil.

6# Marris Otter
6# wheat malt
1/2 rye
1/4 special B

90 minute mash start 153 / 151 end

1 oz citra FWH.. let sit for an hour with 1st and 2nd runnings
1 oz Citra 60.... boil time was 75 minutes
1/2 Saaz 15
1/2 Saaz 5

Nottingham yeast hydrated with whatever beer I was kegging that day.

Not exactly what I was planning, but I shop local and buy what they have. First sample will be around 8/24. I am brewing today, too.

12# 2 row pale
1# vienna
centenial/ cascade

I am planning on filling up a 1/2 gallon liquor bottle as a mini fermentor as a center piece for my kegerator. It's not too hot here today... only 94! My tap water is 77.

...... and I love Amarillo hops. I use them about every third beer. The first recipe I read was Edworts Bavarian Hef, but some guy posted that it tasted like juicey fruit gum, and that immediatly turned me off.

just wander a little outside of lilburn and you've got it at your fingertips. SmokeRise Bottle Shop @ hugh howell rd and hwy 78 does mixed sixers. for that matter so does the kroger in grayson....

Thanks, BA from GA.....

I didn't know SmokeRise did mixed sixers. I go there all the time, but usually for just liquor.

You should rehydrate with water, NOT beer or wort. That's the point of rehydrating.

Really? I wanted some beer, so I figured my little yeast buddies did, too. When I fill a keg what ever is left over is siphoned in to a pitcher. I use this to funnel fill a few bottles. What ever is left (after tasting) I pour in the bucket and sprinkle my yeast.

Really? I wanted some beer, so I figured my little yeast buddies did, too. When I fill a keg what ever is left over is siphoned in to a pitcher. I use this to funnel fill a few bottles. What ever is left (after tasting) I pour in the bucket and sprinkle my yeast.

Really really. If you don't use water, you might as well just toss the dry yeast right into the fermentor (which I don't think is such a bad idea).

Going further (noone asked, but WTH) from what I've learned, rehydrating might not produce better beer directly, but will result in a much faster start to the fermentation. Bobby_M made a great video with multiple carboys and balloons which for me made this irrefutable.

well, it does come from the root hydro, which does mean water... but i always pitch dry right onto the wort anyway. i never even bother to rehydrate. i have enough to do on brew day without worrying about that too :tank:

Back