help with a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine2

Reaction score
I still have yet to brew anything AG yet but my equipment is shaping up to where I should be able to get going soon , like next week.
My first batch I've selected a AG kit from the LHBS but sometime I'd like to try making all sorts of recipes listed in the Papazian book. But heres one I may need some input on ... From you experienced recipe builders .
My wifes mother passed away Jan 6 2014 after a 3 yr battle with ovarian cancer not long after she had retired as a loan officer at a bank for over 30 yrs. She never really got to enjoy a day of retirement. She always loved my home projects and almost had the same excitement I had with the results.
Every year on both her birthday and the anniversary of her passing we have a large family get together and toast to her. She was a heavy set red haired lady with bright blue eyes (of German and Irish descent)and had a great bright personality. Her maiden name was of the German side ,Witmer ...read on.
So then- I would like to see a beer recipe that will give me these qualities . I'd like to name it Marilyn's Wit-bier and be a red / copper colored ,medium to full bodied Wheat with a lightly sweet/floral hop aroma ,not too strongly hopped but with a crisp ,clean finish.
I think it can be done and with all of yours help I can make this happen for my wife ,her brother and their aunties.
Thanks guys

I found this in a search for a red wit but theres no wheat in it ,but it sounds perfectly like what I want to make...

Ruby Red Ale
5.0% ABV 35 IBUs O.G.= 1.056 s.g.

Brewed with imported pale malt, Honey malt for flavor, three types of caramel malt for color and flavor, Vienna and Munich malt for body. The ruby red color hints at its rich caramel maltiness. Hopped with a good amount of German hops to tame the sweetness. This is a perfect middle-of-the-road beer for those who do not want a beer that is too light, too dark, or too bitter.

You referenced Papazian's recipes, but I would recommend getting a copy of Brewing Classic Styles by Zainasheff and Palmer. There's a recipe or two in there for every style--I've made quite a few of these and have yet to be disappointed. There's an Irish Red Ale recipe in there that's good, and some German wheat and rye recipes--I haven't tried it but see a Roggenbier (German rye beer) recipe that looks like it could fit what you're looking for.

I'll take a stab at it. Based on what you described, I'd shoot to maximize the malt character, but to get sufficient hop floral / aroma you will want to dry hop. This won't be very bitter, but would be quite aromatic. The special B will give you color and depth. Hope it helps, let me know how it turns out if you use it.

5.5 Gallons (80% efficiency)
4.9% ABV
9.6L
13 IBU

Malt:
5 LB German Pilsner
4 LB Wheat Malt
0.5LB Special B Malt

Hops:
Noble Hops, any of them will work but I'd go with Spalter.
1 Oz Spalter 4% AA 60 Min
1 Oz Spalter 4% AA Aroma (Flame Out / Whirlpool)
2 Oz Spalter 4% AA dry hop for 3-4 days (for the spicy / floral aroma)

Yeast:
Any wit yeast, I prefer White Labs 400

Directions / Specs
Mash at 152F for an hour, batch sparge
Pitch yeast at 66 F and let rise no higher than 70F
Post fermentation, dry hop for three to four days in a hop bag, then keg/bottle.

Thank you both . Sorry for my short comment above. I had been playing around with a brewers friend recipe calculator that estimates the ABV, color (morey)and IBUs and really everything like temps, water analysis ,etc. I came up with a psuedo recipe with UK wheat, Vienna and Crystal45L with decent color ,ABV and an IBU in the low teens (Hallertauers) but had trouble reaching a OG and FG that got along and then some other numbers which need to keep reading about were met with exclamation points after them. After almost 2 hours playing with it and got nothing to use I was frustrated. Better on a keyboard and screen than in a bucket , kettle , carboy or glass I guess,right?

Latest posts

Back