help with a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstein

Reaction score
hey guys, I need help converting a recipe I found for a Raspberry Chocolate Stout from a AG recipe to a extract/partical grain recipe.

Grain Bill:

10lbs of Klages 2 Row
1 lbs of Crystal 60L
.5lbs of Roasted Barley
.5lbs of Black Patent Malt
.5lbs of Flaked Barley
.5lbs of Baker's Brand unsweetened chocolate
2-12 oz packages of frozen raspberries
2 tsp Gypsum (one in mash, one in boil)

Hop Bill:

1.5 oz of Northern Brewer 8.5% AA for 60 mins
.5 oz of Willamette 4.2% AA steeped for 2 mins

Can someone tell me a break down for extract for this? or is that possible?

thanks in advance for the help

Basically, subsitute the Klages for either 7.5# of LME or 6# of DME to get an OG of about 1.055. Scratch the Flaked barley and steep the other grains.

Brewpastor said:
Basically, subsitute the Klages for either 7.5# of LME or 6# of DME to get an OG of about 1.055. Scratch the Flaked barley and steep the other grains.

Thanks

Blender said:
I estimate you would need 7.5 lbs. of LME to replace the grain. The other grains will need to be steeped. If it is DME then 6 lbs. ought to do it. Someone will come by to confirm these calculations. I got some of my conversion rates from this page. > http://www.allaboutbeer.com/homebrew/extract.html

Thanks

I am guessing a dark LME/DME to replace the Klages?

I would use either light or amber extract because your steeped grains will be giving you the color and flavor of the specialty grains.

You can get raspberry flavor. In the industry they use something called "raspberry ketone". Im not sure if this fragrance is also used as a flavoring.

Back