Help with a pumpkin brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwmalthead22

Reaction score
I am looking to make a 2 gallon pumpkin ale this month. From what I have on hand, I'm thinking:
3lb Pilsen DME
1lb bohemian dark floor malt
2oz chocolate malt
2lb pumpkin (1lb in mash; 1lb @45)
14g Hallertau pellets @50
1/2 tsp cinnamon @10
5g grated ginger@10
1 clove @ flameout
Ferment @67°f using WLP 060

Never worked with pumpkin so any input is greatly appreciated.

We just did a 5gal batch of pumpkin ale and very please with the way it turned out. We wanted an ale that was very pumpkin forward with only slight aromas of spices. You might be surprised to learn that a lot big box breweries don't actually use pumpkin or even puree! Super disappointing. We wanted ours to be a PUMPKIN ale, nothing else.

We used 10# of pumpkin (2# for every gal.) It produced a very pumpkin forward beer that we are exceptionally pleased with and will definitely be brewing again.

Use Jarrahdale Pumpkin (also known as Blue Australian Squash). It will be while/light blue in color on the outside, orange on inside. We scraped out the guts, roasted the pumpkin with brown sugar, and then carved out all the meat. Here is a great resource talking about roasting the pumpkin: https://beerandbrewing.com/perfect-pumpkin-ale-recipe/

One thing we didn't account for, 10# of pumpkin added about a half to a gallon of water to our recipe. Don't be surprised if you end up with a little more than your used to.

Also the pumpkin cooks down like crazy we ended up with less than a pound of dead cell tissue being collected by the sieve.

After spilling a gallon on the floor (don't ask), and loosing over a gallon to trub (more that any other beer I have ever brewed), we ended up with less than 5 gal. going into our keg.

Let us know how the brew day goes.

This pumpkin ale has been in the fermenter for 4 days now. I've never had to use s secondary. Any suggestions on when and how long I should put it into the secondary fermenter?

I used to wait for my FG to hit or be very close before I moved to secondary. Not I but brew on Saturday and switch to secondary the next Saturday. Not because it's what's best but because it is when I have the time.

Everything is about consistency. If you do it the same way every time, get consistent results, and you like your beer then it doesn't mater what you do.

Check your gravity, if your happy move to secondary if not let it go a few more days.

Secondary when fermentation is done, but again why use a secondary

I use a secondary to help with clarity. What are the reasons not to use secondary? Perhaps also specifically for this beer. The amount of pumpkin trub in my was crazy.

Though I used 10 pounds of pumpkin so I expected it...

Not sure there's any real data to support the secondary is clearer . Just more work and more chance to introduce oxygen and other unwanteds. I stopped doing this about 5 batches ago and no noticeable difference, too each their own

Update: OG was 1.081
FG 1.016
ABV is around 8.4%
It's been in for 9 days now. I'm thinking I can bottle after 14 days and let it bottle condition. No secondary, I want some sediment. Thoughts??

I usually like to give my beers 21 days in the primary to bulk age a bit before bottling but if your FG is constant, you could bottle after 14 days. Unless you're trying to clear the beer or going to add something else (oak, etc), I don't see a reason to do a secondary.

I usually like to give my beers 21 days in the primary to bulk age a bit before bottling but if your FG is constant, you could bottle after 14 days. Unless you're trying to clear the beer or going to add something else (oak, etc), I don't see a reason to do a secondary.

Cool thanks. Yeah I'm gonna skip secondary. I want some sediment in there. I prefer unfiltered, cloudy brews unless it's a pils or a pale.

Latest posts

Back