Help with a pina colada IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaskdBagel

Reaction score
Hi all-

I've been reading about lactose as an ingredient recently, and the idea of using it in something hoppy and fruit-forward sounds pretty cool. I've never had a "milkshake" style IPA, but it sounds worth trying, for sure. So here I go with another recipe - my first batch turned out just fine on my own recipe, so maybe lightning can strike twice...

I like the idea of very present fruit, strong hop flavor, and low IBUs. Here's what I'm thinking so far for five gallons:

9.5 lbs two-row
6 ounces acid malt
4 pounds white wheat
12 ounces flaked oats
1 lb lactose

mash at 154

hops at 20, 10, and flameout

ten days of dry hop (probably 4-5 oz.) with one pound of raw coconut and two cans of pineapple juice concentrate

So, my questions:

1. Will a full pound of lactose be too sweet in five gallons?
2. I'm not too concerned with a perfect head, so I think raw coconut will be to my taste, but are there any other attributes of raw coconut to take into account?
3. What would be a good hop choice? I'm thinking Motueka and Mosaic both late boil and for dry hopping, but I don't know hops nearly as well as a lot of you. Other ideas?
4. What yeast would you use?
5. Any red flags? Anything you'd change? Suggestions?

Thanks!!

I did a watermelon milkshake used a pound turned out really nice.

We have a local brewery that does great fruit milkshake IPA and they shared that it's about 20% wheat (white wheat malted) 20% oats (split between flaked and malted).

Zythos is supposed to have a pineapple note but I've not used it. Citra it's tropical might be nice. Mosaic would be a good choice too.

Thinking more about this, I think 3.5 pounds of wheat and a pound of oats is probably in order.

Also thinking about the hops, and I don't want to lose the piña colada character, but a little bittering is probably a good idea to keep it getting too out of balance.

Thinking one ounce of Centennial at 40 minutes, half ounce each of Mosaic and Zythos at :10 and again at flameout, and then two ounces of those two for the dry hop. Think that will end up balanced OK?

Also, would love recommendations on yeast...

Well, I have a Westy 12 clone in queue to brew with my brother next weekend (BroomVikin above), but I think this recipe is pretty well settled.

Went by the LHBS today, and as fortune would have it, the wizard there has just pulled a pina colada something or other out of his fermenter in the last couple of days. He recommended a half gallon of this for every five gallon batch instead of the headache of dealing with pineapple juice concentrate and raw coconut: https://www.amazon.com/Knudsen-Juice-Pineapple-Coconut-Quart

It's a little bit like extract vs. all-grain, but I think I'll try that first and see how it goes. At a hair over $3/qt., it's a winner for now.

The shop dude also recommended Wyeast London Ale III, but I might try something with a little higher attenuation. Just really want the body but not an obnoxious level of sweetness.

I'll report back when this one is brewed, but I might hang onto it for when my buddy visits at Christmas, so it could be a little while.

Back