Help with a Munich Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Hughes

Reaction score
I want to make a Munich Dunkel for my next brew. I mistakenly ordered Caraminich instead of Carafa. I’ve seen recipes that use one or the other so I had a lot in my head when I ordered. Can you all help me make a good Dunkel with what I have? I have enough Munich 10L. I also have the following that I’ve seen in recipes:
Vienna malt
Caramunich 2 malt
Chocolate malt
Victory a

Thoughts? I will probably be using ale yeast on the colder end of that helps so I understand I won’t hit a Dunkel 100%. My favorite is the one from Hofbrauhaus

I was really pleased with how mine turned out. I used munich(91%), vienna(5%), and chocolate(4%). I warm fermented with saflager 34/70. If you are looking to use ale yeast because you can't get to lager fermentation temps I would suggest going this route instead!

Almost all Dunkels made in Munich don't have all that much malt character, and no roast character, except maybe a tiny bit in the finish.
95% Munich malt
5% CaraMunich
Should do it. It will not be super dark, but it doesn't have to be. Carafa is nice, but if you don't have it, it's not the end of the world. I would not substitute it with chocolate malt, or you'll move in the direction of baltic porter.

Not that there's anything wrong with baltic porters... Come to think of it, I prefer a good porter over a Munich Dunkel.

Last edited:
I was really pleased with how mine turned out. I used munich(91%), vienna(5%), and chocolate(4%). I warm fermented with saflager 34/70. If you are looking to use ale yeast because you can't get to lager fermentation temps I would suggest going this route instead!
Ive got tons of yeast so i see if i can get some cheaply. I do have Lalbrew Diamond Lager yeast but its range is 50-59. If I wasnt a germaphobe wacko Id go to the grocery and get bags of ice to keep it cold in a cooler. I also am not sure how id "lager" it in my fridge, ive heard issues with air suck back? I can keep it in the low 60's easily with frozen bottles, i have no issues keeping my ales around 64-66. I only make small batches 1-1.5 gallons.

Last edited:
Ive got tons of yeast so i see if i can get some cheaply. I do have Lalbrew Diamond Lager yeast but its range is 50-59. If I wasnt a germaphobe wacko Id go to the grocery and get bags of ice to keep it cold in a cooler. I also am not sure how id "lager" it in my fridge, ive heard issues with air suck back? I can keep it in the low 60's easily with frozen bottles, i have no issues keeping my ales around 64-66. I only make small batches 1-1.5 gallons.

ive used WLp029 the kolsch/ale hybrid fermented at 58F. Raise towards the End up to 64-66 for a bit and then however you package. Crash, fine keg etc

white labs says I’m too low on the temps but you should be good.

Update us in the future

Still thinking this through. I plan to brew this weekend whatever I come up with. Only thing I’m sure of is going 90-95% Munich 10L.

I should have no problem keeping fermenter in the 50’s I’ll just use fresh ice bottles more often. I use a yeti cooler. It holds well

I plan to go with 97% Munich 10L and 3% British chocolate. 28 ibu of Hallertauer

I will be doing a 1.5 gallon batch. Using the calculator on brewers friend if I pitch the entire pack I’ll be good. Is this an over pitch?
0EFE8BFA-1CFA-4ECD-9B3B-ADD3A0AE262B.png
0EFE8BFA-1CFA-4ECD-9B3B-ADD3A0AE262B.png

Looks good! Give it a go and let us know in a few weeks. Happy home brewing this weekend :mug:

Good brew day! Mans temps good. Got yeast pitched at 64 about 30 minutes ago and right now it’s down at 48.

next question will be Lagering. I am using 2 1 gallon car boys filled to .75 gallons. I have a small big mouth bubbler that should hold it all. I could either put that in my frig or bottle and put those in the fridge after the carb. Either way something will be in the fridge for 2-3 weeks

I made a small batch dunkel earlier this year. Great beer style, one of my favorites. Still have a couple bottles in the fridge and it gets better with each one.

I lager in the bottle. I just find it easier and more convenient to deal with. Ferment cold, bottle carbonate at room temp ( which fluctuates for me. Sometimes as warm as mid 60, sometimes as cool as low 50s), then toss the bottles in the fridge for an extended cold conditioning.

All is still going well I think. Not having trouble keeping it between 48 and 56, that’s the best I can do with my water bottle method. Fermentation looks good, nice Krausen. Late afternoon will make 96 hours since I pitched the yeast. How long before I let it warm up to clean up? Wait till krausen drops? Also how warm is that?

How much yeast did you end up using? I have found that with a healthy fermentation with either 34/70 or Diamond, I don’t have any diacetyl problems and just leave it at fermentation temps for the entire duration. Other’s might have different suggestions.

I made a small batch dunkel earlier this year. Great beer style, one of my favorites. Still have a couple bottles in the fridge and it gets better with each one.

I lager in the bottle. I just find it easier and more convenient to deal with. Ferment cold, bottle carbonate at room temp ( which fluctuates for me. Sometimes as warm as mid 60, sometimes as cool as low 50s), then toss the bottles in the fridge for an extended cold conditioning.
Day 6, I’m going this route when the time comes. My house is 72. Is that an issue or no different than bottle Conditioning an ale? I can put in a cooler with ice bottles to keep colder if need be. I’m assuming they will clear nicely this way? Any difference in taste? This definitely seems easier

I treat it like an ale carbonation. All of my carbonating is done in the basement, which fluctuates depending on the season. I haven't noticed a different when its in the high40s/low 50s vs when its in the 70s. Might just carbonate slightly sooner, but that might just be my impatience talking. I'd say your 72 is perfectly fine for carbonation. If you can spare a bottle of two, check the carbonation at a week. I think im usually tossing bottles in the fridge by day 10-13 in the warmer months. When I brew a small batch and don't wanna lose a bottle, I give it the standard 2 weeks and cross my fingers, haha.

Thanks! I’ll do 2 weeks just to make sure. it’s about ready to bottle. Have checked any numbers or anything but the Krausen is almost all dropped, just a touch floating. I’m thinking another 2-3 days then I’ll let it get closer to 60 for a few days, then bottle.

Still trying to get my plan together. It is at the 75-80% fermented I see in lots of recipes to do a Diacetyl rest. Pitch rate was good so diacetyl may not be an issue anyway. I’ve kept my temps in the low to mid 50 minus a few spikes to 58. I do not plan on doing a secondary, just bottle condition then “lager” in the fridge for a few weeks minimum till I drink it. Would the temp increase in bottle conditioning take care diacetyl anyway? If so I’m probably looking to bottle in a few days.

Eh I wouldn’t chance it. The extra yeast clean up the off flavors. I’d warm it up to mid 60s for a bit. Take a sample, smell for movie popcorn butter. If it smells fine heat in the microwave and smell again. Keep resting until 0 butter smell.

68 isn’t too hot For a diacetyl rest? Also this is day 3. This isn’t too long? Didn’t want to bottle today but can

Last edited:
Back