Help with a Kegorator issue!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBRS1844

Reaction score
So I recently bought a Nostalgia KRS6100SS from a friend who did not need it anymore. He told me he bypassed the temp regulator, in my head I thought i just had to re connect the wires and i'm good to go. I reconnected everything and the temp regulator doesn't work. Now the machine turns on if i connect eh pos and neg wires. How can I fix this?

Here it is. Pos and neg terminals on the left the green which j think is ground is on the right and the temp probe is in the back. The neg and POS both have power and will run if connect but once connected to thermostat it doesn't turn on. I might just exclude the thermostat and just buy an external on.

IMG_20170315_200812883.jpg

The green wire is Safety Ground and would attach to the grounding lug.
Hooked up or not, it would not affect the thermostat behavior.

The other two wires attach in any order to the two lugs at the back of the thermostat.
If you hook them up, rotate the thermostat full scope and don't hear the compressor kick in, either the capillary tube was breached or the thermostat is simply broke (which might explain why the original owner bypassed it)....

Cheers!

Ok moving onto question 2! Can i use the thermostar digital thermometer controller in its place?

You could use pretty much any controller. If it doesn't have direct access to its relays and instead is hard-wired to AC outlets, you would short the original thermostat wires together then plug the fridge into the controller AC outlet.

fwiw, never even heard of a "Thermostar" controller but it looks like a twice-as-expensive version of this popular controller:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A51OLR6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you haven't bought the Thermostar yet you should give the Inkbird consideration...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this one too! But has this controller you linked worked for you? If so I will place and order now!

This is the one I use on my kegerator. Same thing, only smaller probe. The larger removable probe is better if you are putting it in a carboy for fermentation control.

Thanks a ton i just placed an order on Amazon for it and I want to use the kegorator for a fermentation chamber as well but thanks a ton!

If you are using the kegerator for ferm control, you might wanna pickup a heating element as well to control the temp a little better if it gets too cold. I've heard good things about these

LOL I bought that with the order already placed. I knew i wanted one but Northerns are way to expensive so thank you all for showing me other options!

Back