Blichmann Glycol Chiller Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmeljeff

Reaction score
Hi All,

Recently, my Blichmann Glycol Chiller has stopped chilling. I've gone through Blichmann support, and while helpful, didn't ultimately determine the reason for the unit to stop chilling. Curious if anyone else has run into issues and has any wisdom to pass along on how to fix it.

The fans run, but I can't confirm if the compressor turns on. I took a temp reading of the compressor, and it held steady at 32.5C.

Any help is appreciated.

Compressors usually make a decent amount of noise when they turn on. Can you heat any other noise besides the fans? Does the condenser coil get warm?
The fan is fairly loud. Though, I do hear a click, and it seems like the fan temporarily quiets, but then ramp back up (maybe a 5db drop in noise). I don't hear any other sounds. Took a temp reading of the condenser coil, and it held at 20C.

It'd be good to see a parts explosion of it as there is most likely a temperature switch that controls the compressor turning on or off and it wont operate without it. If the compressor is turning on, that could indicate a refrigerant issue, such as a leak.

Assuming you are out of warranty period, I would talk to the owners of your fav restaurant or brewpub and find out who they use for refrigeration repair.
Instead of casting about in the dark, get it analyzed and repaired by someone who know what they are doing.

Hi All,

Recently, my Blichmann Glycol Chiller has stopped chilling. I've gone through Blichmann support, and while helpful, didn't ultimately determine the reason for the unit to stop chilling.

did you talk to them on the phone or via email? I have only one experience with Blichmann on a product issue and they fell all over themselves to be helpful and remedy the problem.

I would think they would talk you through the troubleshooting steps to verify the exact problem then work with you on a solution, even if you are out of warranty.

good luck

Ken

Back