Help with a dark IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imawiner2

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Here's the deal...

I love stouts but I am also a hop-head and I will go to great lengths to find both. I've tried Stones dark IPA and also Deschutes and I loved them both. In my mind they are the best of both worlds.

My problem is I'm new to brewing and haven't gone beyond the kits. Taking that one step further, I've not made a stout yet. My question is how would I go about turning a stout kit into a dark IPA or would I need to somehow turn and IPA kit into a stout? Or should I give it up and run to the liquor store?

Thanks for your help.

S.

You could try an IPA kit and steep some dehusked Carafa II or Carafa III with it to add some chocolate notes and color. The "Special" is the dehusked kind. Learned this the hard way. Maybe a couple ounces of Roasted Barley for additional color if necessary.

Widmer Brothers Pitch Black IPA is delicious. Recommend you try some if you haven't had it yet.

Back