Help with a Braggot Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s0615353

Reaction score
I am taking my golden strong ale recipe (Belgian Pilsner and Weyermann Abbey Malt fermented with WLP 570) and adding honey to make a sparkling braggot. My plan is to add 4-5 lb. of honey, but I am unsure what type. What types of honey do you think will go well with the apple/pear/clove of the Belgian yeast?

Thank you for the reply, I have 1 lb. orange blossom leftover from a saison in my fridge (I can order a few lbs. more). A local apiary has wildflower flavored with lemon. How do flavored honey's ferment out? Maybe I can do lemon/orange?

I agree orange blossom would go best. The lemon flavored honey would work out but that is not the same as the orange blossom. You could caramelize some of the lemon honey to rid it of the wild flower character.

One of my favorite meads is an orange blossom mead with the honey slightly Caramelized under a mead kin heat for 30 minutes. Still lots of citrous tones with a good mouthfeel and slight caramel tones.

Back