first Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
Started my first braggot about 6 weeks ago, a 1gal batch. It is clear as a bell now, so I decided to taste. Man! That stuff is great! Maybe a bit too much honey flavor, but I wanted a big honey taste so I got it. Might cut back to 4 oz honey malt next time.

I am already planning another batch as soon as I get back from a trip because this little gal is not going to last long enough to age any. My recipe below:

1.25 lb pale ale DME
1.5 lbs wildflower honey
8oz honey malt
tsp yeast nutrient
Nottingham + wine yeast (forgot which one)
1/4 oz Saaz + pinch mugwort + pinch wormwood

I cooked the honey to a deep caramel color to get more flavor out of it.
Steeped the honey malt for 20 min before adding hops to make hop tea.
Just let her rip!

It ended up around 13-14% ABV. Amazing stuff!

I have a Bock that I am about to brew, I should pull some wort, and ferment that with some honey to see what I get

The honey malt is supposed to give more flavor than the honey itself because honey ferments out so completely. And the honey malt steeps nicely.

The honey malt is supposed to give more flavor than the honey itself because honey ferments out so completely. And the honey malt steeps nicely.
I brew with honey malt from time to time, it can be "too much" at times, or at least that is my impression.

I had read that before. And in this case it is really strong. But like I said I wanted a big honey taste, so I am not complaining. However, I will probably tone it down next time

I made a one gallon honey lager (probably wouldn't consider it a Braggot, but it's close) that is surprisingly close to this. 2.5 lbs of pilsner and a pound of honey, and it had a ton of honey character and finished around 9-10%. I can't imagine how honey forward this would be with more honey and honey malt.

Latest posts

Back