Help with a Bm23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nddustin

Reaction score
I just got a BM 23 beverageair from a customer that no longer wanted it. They stated that the compressor was bad. I have done heating and air for over 20 years but never really any refrigeration. I was hoping it was just the thermostat but I don’t believe it is. I cannot tell if the compressor is running just by hearing it. I know I can put my meter on it and take an amp draw. My question is there are three braze connections coming off of the compressor how do you know which ones are suction and liquid line? Also in order to charge it do I have to install some self piercing pigtails?

One of the brazed/sealed lines is an oil-fill line. It's usually the thickest, and can be ignored.
Then, identifying the suction vs output line is easier if the system is at least barely functional - the suction line will be noticeably cooler than the output line. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of whatever documentation you can find for that compressor type.

Yes, you definitely need to install at least one service port. The bullet style self-piercing valve does that trick, but quality (and the resulting sealing ability) varies. I was able to keep my second keezer alive for months while building its successor by installing a fill valve on the suction side and using a single gauge filling system to keep the charge level up to snuff.

Check this thread...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/how-to-recharge-a-freezer-or-fridge.682877/
Cheers!

Thanks!! So the line that is pinched closed is where the person before installed the piercing valve that you used!! Why would he install it there? Also if I buy a new compressor Will the third port already be sealed?

I can't really answer either question. I could speculate that someone installing a BPV on an oil-fill line probably had no idea what they were doing :)
I don't know if replacement compressors come with oil already in place or not.

Understand as well that one does not simply cut out an old compressor and install a new one. The original receiver/dryer has to be replaced and the system has to be totally purged because even a tiny bit of moisture could freeze and bring the whole system down...

Cheers!

Back