Help with a barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lseabo00

Reaction score
I brewed a Bigfoot clone on 4/6 and got a post boil gravity of 1.090 (recipe estimated 1.096). I'm not that concerned that I missed my OG on this try. I could have boiled more vigorously.

I check a gravity tonight and got 1.030. Estimated abv on the recipe is ~9.2% but mine will be ~7.9%. I pitched 3 packs of US-05.

Any suggestions on what I can do to bring the gravity down a few more points to make this more like a strong ale as the recipe calls for?

Thanks-
PS- let me know if I need to provide more info

grain bill, mash temp and time, is it a refractometer or hydrometer reading, how long has it been in primary, did u pitch the right amount of yeast and what type of yeast did u use and what were ferm temps. Those would b my initial questions. Oh and is that an estimated 9.2% with an OG of 1.092 and I'm guessing a lower FG than 1.030. That's gonna b one helluva sweet beer. Initially before you provide the other info I'd say put it in a warmer spot and leave it for another couple of weeks and gently swirl the bucket/carboy every couple days and see if that doesn't rouse the yeast to help it finish a little. Your other info will help figure out if or why it may have stalled out so high.

Thx-
Grain bill was pale malt 16.5lb and 2lb caramel 60L. I mashed for 45 minutes at 156 degrees. I pitched the amount of U.S.-05 the recipe called for, 3 packs. It's been in primary just short of 3 weeks at ~68 degrees. My readings are from a hydrometer.

The recipe stated estimated OG at 1.096 with an estimated FG of 1.027.

I'll try warming it a couple of degrees and swirling the fermenter and let it sit a while longer. I'm in no hurry for this one. Amy other insight is appreciated.

Thx-
Grain bill was pale malt 16.5lb and 2lb caramel 60L. I mashed for 45 minutes at 156 degrees.

Yeah, you might be done. For a beer that you want high attenuation you want to mash much lower. I would have gone no higher than 152, maybe lower. Three options to try to get a bigger drop. 1.) Warm 2.) Add a small amount (1/4 lb) of table sugar + 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient, boiled in a pint or 2 of water and add to fermenter and 3) add some wine yeast. #3 isn't likely to work bc US-05 should have higher alcohol tolerance that where you are.

That said, I doubt you'll drop a whole lot more.

No, 3 packets is plenty. You mashed too high, so all those extra points are dextrins that aren't fermentable by your yeast strain.

You could try adding a more attenuative strain (ie wy 3711) along with the sugar/nutrient trick above to see if it'll drop more. As I said before, I doubt you're going to drop much more but you can apply the above tricks. If 1.030 is going to be undrinkable for you, you could brew a lower gravity batch and blend together. Or you could always add brettanomyces and let it ride for 6+ months. Good luck.

Although, if your expected FG is 1.027, you're pretty well in line with that. Give it a few weeks and it may drop a few more points.

I drank the gravity sample last night and found it sweet, but pretty tasty. Not what I was expecting, but decent. I will try the nutrient and maybe another yeast to see if I can get it closer to a barley wine but I won't dump it.

I'm in no hurry with this beer so I don't mind letting it sit for a while longer before I dry hop it and bottle it. I'll also write these tips down in my notes so I don't mess it up again next time.

Thanks for the help.

2 lbs of crystal 60 and a 156 mash temp (especially the mash temp) will lead to a high FG. I don't think anything can be done to get that lower - the yeast has more than likely consumed everything it can possibly consume. If you monkey with it at this point, it might lead to additional problems. I'd leave it. Besides, 1.030 is not bad for a barleywine.

Next time, try 149 for at least 90 minutes. With a big grain bill, a low mash temp and extended mash won't lead to a thin beer the way it does with a 1.050ish beer. You'll have plenty of mouthfeel.

Thanks for the input. I'll just swirl it and raise the temp a couple of degrees and let it sit for a couple more weeks.

Thanks fellas

If your going to do that and let it sit past the 1 month mark I personally would let it sit for a day or 2 and transfer it to a secondary. If you let beer sit on the trub and dead yeast at the bottom for to long it can give you some funky flavors.

If your going to do that and let it sit past the 1 month mark I personally would let it sit for a day or 2 and transfer it to a secondary. If you let beer sit on the trub and dead yeast at the bottom for to long it can give you some funky flavors.

That's true, sitting on the trub too long can give off flavors. I talked to another brewer and he left one in the primary for 8 months though and he said that that wasn't too long yet. I personally have left one for 2 1/2 months and I wish I had the patience to do that with more of my beers. Mmmm.:rockin:

Back