Help with a baisc red ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodrigobarriosj

Reaction score
Hi! I'm from Perú and I want to start brewing craft beer. The problem that we have here is that we don't have as much suppliers and ingredients as we could have if we were in the US or Europe. I want to brew a red ale, but every time I search a recipe I find things like malt extract, for example, that are impossible or very hard to find, so I want to know I you guys can help me with a basic (maybe all grain) red ale recipe. My supplier only sells these products:

Malt:
- Pilsen
- Caramel 100
- Extra pale
- Chocolate 900
- Dark chocolate 1200
- Toasted
(I think the caramel, chocolate and toasted malts are from the Pilsen)

Hops:
- Cascade
- Kent Golding
- Hallertauer
- Fuggles
- Saaz
- Willamette
- Magnum
- Chinook

Yeast
- Safale Ale
- Mauribrew Ale
- Mauribrew Lager
- Nottingham Ale

If the brewing business goes well, I'm planning to contact a foreign supplier, so if anyone knows one that ships to Perú, I'll be very grateful. Thank you!

I'll do my best. I'm guessing these are fully modified malts and colors are in EBC. I'm also going to assume the "Toasted" malt is an Amber-malt type at around 100 EBC.

20L batch.

4.75 kg Extra Pale malt
0.5 kg Toasted malt 100 EBC
0.2 kg Caramel 100 EBC
50 *grams* Chocolate malt 900 EBC

27 grams Cascade 5.5a pellets for 60 minutes
12.5 grams Cascade 5.5a pellets for 15 minutes
12.5 grams Cascade 5.5a pellets for 1 minute

Safale US-05 or Danstar Nottingham

Mash at 67c. Ferment at 18.5c.

OG: 1.056
FG: ~1.013 (76% att, will be more attenuated with Nottingham)
ABV: 5.5%
IBU: 28 (Rager)
SRM: 15

This is a derivative of an old recipe from one of the classic homebrew books. I think it's one of Papazian's if I remember right. If the toasted malt is lower more like 50 EBC, use 100 grams of chocolate malt instead of 50 grams. Make sure to grind the chocolate malt extra-fine.

This should end up being malt-focused, with nutty and caramel flavors supported by a mild dose of citrusy hops. The yeast is neutral to stay out of the way.

Latest posts

Back