Help wiring 240 30amp GFCI in small panel from 4-prong dryer outlet.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabass07

Reaction score
I'm working on an electric keggle build using one 5500watt ultra low density element. I'm essentially making my own spa panel using a 240 30amp GFCI breaker since I already have the breaker. I don't want to put the GFCI breaker in the main panel because I'd like my kettle to be portable. The box I'm using is a 70amp main load center.

I guess I'm just looking for a sanity check as far as wiring goes. I only need to power a PID/SSR to the element, so I only need 240v. Does this mean I don't need the neutral for anything after the breaker? My box doesn't have a grounding rail, only a neutral rail. So I would connect the neutral in to the neutral rail along with the curly neutral wire from the gfci breaker, then connect ground to the box and continue the ground wire through to the element? I'm sure this has been answered many times, but I'm having trouble finding the answer. Thanks.

Any metal box in the system should be grounded. The ground connection should be to the ground wire coming in with the power feed to the box. You should not establish a local earth ground.

Brew on :mug:

So ground from the outlet connects to the box, element ground, and keg?

Back