HELP WANTED: Brew Stand Up Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
Hello, I have a modified Brutus 10 but I have been seriously struggling to get things set up and operating the right way. Spent most of last summer fixing and modifying things and still struggle to get my Temp probes to read accurately or the HERMS to heat properly. It's was a nightmare and an unpleasant brew season to say the least. I'm planning to add a second pump this sprig with new silicone lines and new 90 degree QD's.

A couple quick notes that continue to bother me are ... 1. Setting up the control panel for maximum benefit (mainly making sure my temperature readings are accurate. 2. adjusting pump flow to ensure proper temp is maintain in the mash from the HERMS.

A few hurdles with my set up are that my HERMS is only running a 2000W element off from 120v. I currently only have 1 pump for the whole set and flow process. My lines seems to kink easily (hense the need for new silicone lines and 90d QD's).

I'm hoping that someone/s will be willing to help get this pile of steel back into order and producing some delicious brews this year. I ended last year with my frustrations through the the roof and regretting every step with this new stand. I am turning the corner this spring and looking to make it happen.

Here some photos of my set up.

** I have since modified the ball valves and temp probes which are both connected to the out port of both the Exit of the HERMS and the Mash Tun. I'll update pics of those soon.

Please reach out if you are willing or think you can help. Much appreciated!

Cheers, Dana

If I were to guess from your pictures and problems, I'd guess that you are struggling to get your Mash Temps to match the settings of your HLT??

I think the addition of a second pump to recirc your HLT water will help drastically. Usually the recirculating Mash in the heat exchanger removes the heat from the water in the area right around the coil. The temp probe for the HLT is likely in some remote location providing a valid reading, but one that's different from the temp directly by the HEX. Since the thermocouple is isolated, the PID doesn't fire the heating element at the right time.

For folks to help, I think we need a better understanding of your issues. The description was vague, so if I missed the mark, provide some more details of your issues. A system diagram of each vessel showing the location of the temp probes would be helpful, as would some specifics on your PID's, temp settings and where you are having difficulties.

I have moved the temp progress oo the exit T from the Hermes abd then another exciting the mash back through the herms to compare the two temps. I wad figuring this would give me the best readings.

My main issue currently is the inconsistency in my temp progress and how to accurately calibrate them. I have followed the instructions posted on the Electric Brewing page but still can not get the PID to rest accurately. Any thoughts?

I think the temp probe placement is your problem. 1 temp prob should be in the MLT outlet, the other should be in the HLT outlet. Your PID should be controlling the heating element in the HLT. The temp probe on the MLT is really only there to monitor the temperature to ensure it is responding to temp changes made to the HLT.

I'd recommend you get your new pump set up on the HLT and ensure that you are getting good mixing within the HLT to ensure you have consistent water temp top to bottom/inside to outside. I'd get that set up, run some trial runs and get the PID calibrated. Once you've got that dialed in, I'd try a simple batch of beer. Usually the HLT temp has to be a couple degrees hotter than the target mash temp. Look a little closer to Kal's set up and I think you'll see the difference.

Do you have 1 or 2 PID's?

Back