Help w/ wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpolzin25

Reaction score
So I wanted to a wheat beer w/ some spiciness to it and also use amarillo hops to give some hop flavor to it. Mainly I think I am pretty good with the grain bill but was looking for some feedback on the hops and yeast. Here is what I was looking at. My wife seems to think citrusy flavors and spiciness don't go together but she doesn't drink beer so yea...lol

Batch size 5.5 gallons

Grain bill: (assuming 70 % efficiency)
Red Wheat 5 lbs (50%)
2-row 4 lbs (40%)
Rye 1 lb (10%)
rice hulls

Hop schedule (total expected IBUs about 27)
1 oz amarillo FWH (AA 8.2%)
1 oz amarillo 5 minutes to end of boil (AA 8.2%)

Yeast
Safbrew T-58

I was originally going for this to be an american wheat so I don't know if the yeast changes that but I originally picked this yeast because i read its supposed to give some peppery/spicy flavors. I plan on fermenting in the mid/low 60s

Thanks. Feel free to critique away.

So I wanted to a wheat beer w/ some spiciness to it and also use amarillo hops to give some hop flavor to it. Mainly I think I am pretty good with the grain bill but was looking for some feedback on the hops and yeast. Here is what I was looking at. My wife seems to think citrusy flavors and spiciness don't go together but she doesn't drink beer so yea...lol

Batch size 5.5 gallons

Grain bill: (assuming 70 % efficiency)
Red Wheat 5 lbs (50%)
2-row 4 lbs (40%)
Rye 1 lb (10%)
rice hulls

Hop schedule (total expected IBUs about 27)
1 oz amarillo FWH (AA 8.2%)
1 oz amarillo 5 minutes to end of boil (AA 8.2%)

Yeast
Safbrew T-58

I was originally going for this to be an american wheat so I don't know if the yeast changes that but I originally picked this yeast because i read its supposed to give some peppery/spicy flavors. I plan on fermenting in the mid/low 60s

Thanks. Feel free to critique away.

With Safbrew T-58 will end up more like Belgian Wit than American Wheat.

What's your thinking behind adding 10% Rye?

I would use something more basic and clean for FWH addition, save Amarillo for aroma hopping. the 5min addition will add some citrusy aroma, but if you want/expect the yeast character to dominate, you may want to scale it down.
Maybe consider adding coriander/orange zest to keep it closer to classic Belgian Witbier style? Some add a bit of oats.

I have used Amarillo in some of my beers in the past and I liked it in my wheat. I did add more bitter orange peel to mine and some lactose for a sweeter mouth feel.

Amarillo possesses a distinct quality of "orangeyness." Amarillo can come off as pungent and grapefruity at times, but the cleanest expressions of this hop taste very much like biting into a tangerine.

I like the recipe as well and I have used that yeast myself in my wheat and it did impart a little spiceness but I also fermented higher in the 60s.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out! :mug:

I was adding the rye for some spicy flavor but didn't want to go crazy w/ the amount of rye as this would be the first time I have ever used rye. I could switch up to using something like horizon or cluster for a fwh. I am not set on using the T58 yeast and did originally think about US-05. I mainly picked the yeast for the peppery flavors but if the rye will add the spice then maybe i wouldn't need it? I like the idea of adding some orange zest and coriander though.

Back