Help w/ Maple Porter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnskiinvt

Reaction score
Going to try brewing a smoked maple porter. I need advice as to how much maple (using grade B) syrup to use and WHEN. I've read some very mixed reviews. Some say to use throughout boil, then some say this will negate the maple flavor. Can I add at say, 5 mtfo?? Or mix in before pitching? Or at some point during fermentation? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

btw, this is a partial grain recipe being used. thanks!

I used it at 2/3 fermentation mark (just about the end of high krausen) in primary and got tons of maple flavor.
Used a pound in a 9% oaked whiskey porter.

Good job on the Grade B. Great deep flavors.

Thanks for the input! Maybe a dumb question, but do i literally just pour it right in?? I shouldn't stir or anything, should I? I've never added anything during fermentation but I thought stirring was "taboo" at this point? Right? thanks again!

You can add any sugars at any time. Think of it, we add priming sugar right at the very end and it ferments well.

For anything you want to preserve the flavors from, you are best not to add to the boil, or prior to the main fermentation. The release of the CO2 will drive off the aromas with it.

Dissolve the honey in a little hot water. I wouldn't boil it, as you would then be driving off some of the delicate aroma. 150 F for 10 minutes is sufficient to pasteurize, if you are concerned about contamination. Cool and add to primary or secondary after the main fermentation has slowed down. No stirring required.

There is no critical time as to when it needs to be added by. It can be added after 1 week, or after 1 month. Just remember, when you add it, you re-start fermentation, kicking up the yeast, taking longer to settle.

Back