Help transitioning to full volume ebiab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehk089

Reaction score
I have been brewing for 3 or 4 years now on an electric 3v here’s system i diy’d out of keggles I made and am looking to downsize my footprint, and maybe shorten brew day slightly. I want to buy a good kettle w/ tri clamp fittings to use with a wilser bag for full volume, no sparge mashing. I typically brew 10 gal batches so I’m thinking 30 gal kettle will be needed in order to mash bigger beers too. I don’t step mash so I’ll probably just keep my diy ssvr controller I have. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as best kettles, and setup for this? Is 30 gal the right size? Proprietary elements or generic?

I've got a 20 gallon kettle and feel that it is plenty of room. I've never done a huge beer, but am sure I could if I want to.

All depends on what you want your setup to be. If you're not step mashing, mashing out or recirculating you dont need a flase bottom. Kettles to fit this bill are a dime a dozen. Any name brand out there will work. Just have to decide how many bells and whistles you want.

I have been brewing for 3 or 4 years now on an electric 3v here’s system i diy’d out of keggles I made and am looking to downsize my footprint, and maybe shorten brew day slightly. I want to buy a good kettle w/ tri clamp fittings to use with a wilser bag for full volume, no sparge mashing. I typically brew 10 gal batches so I’m thinking 30 gal kettle will be needed in order to mash bigger beers too. I don’t step mash so I’ll probably just keep my diy ssvr controller I have. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as best kettles, and setup for this? Is 30 gal the right size? Proprietary elements or generic?

Congrats on the pending upgrade! We are releasing our new single vessel brewing system come spring and it sounds like it would be a good fit for you. To do 10g batches we'd recommend our 20g system. That can handle up to about 45lbs of grain. We chose not to use a bag but instead opted for an easier to clean more durable stainless basket. We'll be releasing more details as they come out but what is public currently is listed on our site below.

https://spikebrewing.com/pages/ebiab

Congrats on the pending upgrade! We are releasing our new single vessel brewing system come spring and it sounds like it would be a good fit for you. To do 10g batches we'd recommend our 20g system. That can handle up to about 45lbs of grain. We chose not to use a bag but instead opted for an easier to clean more durable stainless basket. We'll be releasing more details as they come out but what is public currently is listed on our site below.

https://spikebrewing.com/pages/ebiab
I love you guys and own/use some of your product, but I am personally getting tired of this longggggggg marketing strategy.
Stop teasing us and just release full details already.
Will the kettle and basket be available to purchase separately? (With a 2" TC for my element instead of 1.5")
I already have all the other stuff

Yeah I’m looking at a spike kettle, but not sure size...10 gallon batches using full volume mash...30 gal kettle?

I think im goin 30 gal spike kettle w/ tri clamp...1 port for dip tube, 1 port next to it for either whirlpool or thermometer, and one offset port on the rear for the denord 5500w element...anything I'm missing? I dont really see need for recirc port at top because I dont think i will recirc. are any guys recirc'ing for biab or just hope to hit mash temp and leave it?

...are any guys recirc'ing for biab or just hope to hit mash temp and leave it?

Lots of folks recirculate. I don't.

I use the (free) Priceless BIAB calculator, and don't have problems hitting mash temp. I use a kids sleeping bag over the kettle as insulation, and have no problems holding mash temp for an hour.

Lots of folks don't recirculate. I do.

Not so much to hold mash temp, but to produce super clear wort by what amounts to continuously vorlaufing during the mash. I place my bag in a mesh basket so I don't have to disturb the grain bed when I pull it. And yes, I have read the claims that "clear wort doesn't make clear beer," but I have experienced otherwise.

IMG_6912.JPG

Back