Help - too much sugar in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtf320

Reaction score
I kegged 10 gallons of my latest beer (caribou slobber cloan) into two 5 gallon kegs. I accidentally doubled the sugar when priming the kegs. How can I cut the sweetness?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Well...practically speaking, this isn't as simple as just waiting for the yeast to chomp all that sugar up and everything will be just fine.

I'd look up "spunding valve", put one together and tee it to a pair of gas QDs to plug on the kegs to keep from ending up with ten gallons of well overcarbed beer. Either that, or be prepared to dump excess CO2 periodically and hope you get the carb level right in the end...

Cheers!

I don't see how this is a problem. You used sugar instead of CO2 to prime the kegs. The yeast will ferment it out completely. You will not have extra sweetnbess, only extra carbonation. Let it ferment out, vent off the extra pressure (not sure how but i'm sure it's on here, similar to the process you might use when correcting over carb when doing the shake it force carb method). Then carb to proper pressure with CO2. The only unintended result is a few extra tenths of a point ABV, no extra sweetness.

Thank you everyone, I would hate to have lost 10 gallons....

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

To echo what's already been said, just let the kegs carb up (they will most likely be overcarbed), then vent off some of the excess CO2 (use the relief valve on the lid of the keg or if your keg doesn't have one, just depress the dimple on the gas in barb). You can do that however many times you want until the carbonation is at a level you like.

Back