Help: Steam Kettle False Bottom Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarles

Reaction score
So I score this 30 gallon Vulcan Hart steam kettle on CL for $45!!!

I have already thrown out the idea of building a steam generator for it and making it a boil kettle or HLT and I have decided it will be my new OVERLY sized mash tun that i will eventually grow into. In the future I may consider running water through the steam jacket to maintain mash temps but for the time being I will be using my existing HERMs coil with it.

PROBLEMS: (that I would love to have peoples input on)
- the spigot that came with in has shot, it was brass and would not open and bent in the process of forcing it open. Should i try and tap the inside of the hole and screw in stainless piping? Anyone have any other ideas?

- What the heck do i do for a false bottom?

Pictures would be nice…..

image-19.jpg

image-17.jpg

image-16.jpg

image-18.jpg

The false bottom could just be a piece of stainless mesh/drilled plate that fits fairly tightly (use split silicone hose around the edge to get a tight fit without scratching) domed to give a clearance, or stand the bottom in standoffs to give the clearance.

For the spigot, you could make up a plate to match the old one, fit it with a gasket, and tap a NPT hole in it to fit a normal spigot to.

I just picked up the same unit. I'd love to see you modification and how you are heating it! Care to share? Thanks

Instead of a false bottom, you could just get a big BIAB bag. That's what I use in my igloo mash tun. Clear wort and easy cleanup. That would save you from worrying about any modifications on the inside of the kettle. Though you could probably get away with a with a flat piece of slotted/drilled SS thrown over the outlet.

I agree with dyqik on the spigot. make a plate that can mount with those existing holes and tap for 1/2 NPT or weld an NPT fitting onto it. Probably need some gasket material between the plate and the pot or at least a washer around the opening.

wow this is an old thread....

Heres how i ended up handling these issues.

For a false bottom I used a piece of punched stainless and use silicone tubing as a gasket. works great.

For the valve I machined a plate and silver soldered on copper then added a two way valve.

As for heat, I basically piped what was my RIMs tube into the steam jacket and I circulate water around the outside of the mash. So during the mash in constantly recalculating the mash water and recirculating the water in the jacket.

image4-3.jpg

image3-5.jpg

image2-5.jpg

image6.jpg

image5-2.jpg

image1-6.jpg

Back