Help! Starter gone bad somehow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadude918

Reaction score
I made a starter with WLP-029 Kölsh yeast yesterday morning. This is my first time handling this yeast. I read that it gives off sulphur odors. That's a big check. But when I checked the flask this morning, this is what it looks like... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398619693.716221.jpg
Any input?

Anyone? I'm brewing now and I want to know if I need to run to the store

I've used it looks ok to me from the pic. If you're making a kolsch I recommend fermenting at 60 and be patient... Took about 6 weeks for mine to finish but ended up awesome.

Also, something about this yeast that makes it have almost a purple twinge to it. When I was cleaning out the keg, the yeast and small amount of beer at the bottom had a purple hue to it. Anyone else see that?

But key to a good clean kolsch is patience in the fermentation, low temps and lager.

I've used it looks ok to me from the pic. If you're making a kolsch I recommend fermenting at 60 and be patient... Took about 6 weeks for mine to finish but ended up awesome.

Okay thanks a lot, I just pitched and we'll see how it goes. Also, I've heard that several places. Ferment at 60* even though the yeast range is 65-69. The ferm won't die out?

Also, since I've never brewed a Kolsch before, you think I should lager it in a fresh vessel? Or should I keep it on the yeast? Or does it matter?

I just brewed a Kölsch and plan to rack to a secondary for what I'm going to call a lager. I don't have real lager capability but I have a cool basement.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back