Help sourcing 120V 12/3 power cord and crimp ons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcharles00

Reaction score
I've been reading through the posts here and got some good information on this topic, but still haven't solved the problem..

I've got two new 120V, 2000w heating elements and I need cords for them. I was going to just grab the "replacement 120V cord" that home depot sells before thinking it through and realizing that I need something more robust for this wattage.

so the main question is - Does anyone know a source for a 12/3 120V power cord with terminals crimped on? I can't find such a thing.

The fallback is buying a 12/3 extension cord and cutting an end off, but I can't seem to find any information on the spec for crimp-on connectors to use in an application like this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Any advice would be appreciated. Really looking forward to getting this new setup up and running. this is the last piece of the puzzle.

I am not aware of cabling that comes with terminal connections on them. The connectors you want will be for 12-10 gauge wire. MOST of the time the connectors have a yellow colored wire shield, just make sure you look for the specs to say 12 gauge wire. The SJOOW cording from home depot or lowes is fine to use.

I do have a video about wiring on my channel. It may help you.

wiring video

Brian

I've been reading through the posts here and got some good information on this topic, but still haven't solved the problem..

I've got two new 120V, 2000w heating elements and I need cords for them. I was going to just grab the "replacement 120V cord" that home depot sells before thinking it through and realizing that I need something more robust for this wattage.

so the main question is - Does anyone know a source for a 12/3 120V power cord with terminals crimped on? I can't find such a thing.

The fallback is buying a 12/3 extension cord and cutting an end off, but I can't seem to find any information on the spec for crimp-on connectors to use in an application like this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Any advice would be appreciated. Really looking forward to getting this new setup up and running. this is the last piece of the puzzle.

The cheaper wire crimping kits are like $10 at the home depot or harbor freight.. They arent going to sell the kits anywhere but maybe a specialty home brew supplier who spends the 5 minutes to squeeze on some connectors and them charges double for the same cord you can make from the components sold at the home depot... (they do sell the 30a cords this way as dryer cords though)

It really doesnt take any special skills to crimp on some wire connectors...It might look intimidating and I know folks will chime in that you need a high dollar crimper and an electricians background to do it right and thats simply ridiculous. Everything you need is in the same isle at the home depot or lowes.. The tool is even color coded so you just strip the wire (they even sell fancy tools to strip the wires but you dont need them) and put the yellow 10-12awg connector over the wire and use the yellow color coded crimp end on the crimper to squeeze it on. tug on it to make just its crimped well afterward. Its really very easy.

for 2000w (16 amps) a regular 12 awg 3 prong appliance cord will work fine and you should actually be able to find them with the male plug already attached at many hardware stores.

Harbor Freight. If they have a sale, and you have a coupon, their extension cords are cheaper than buying the wire.

You get what you pay for with the crimp tool. I think I could do a better job with my teeth than some of those cheap tools. Give a good tug on the connector before you trust the connection.

You get what you pay for with the crimp tool. I think I could do a better job with my teeth than some of those cheap tools. Give a good tug on the connector before you trust the connection.

From my experience you can accomplish a good crimp with the cheap ones as long as you have enough grip strength. They are just not as easy or convenient to use, I have a crimper that cost almost $300 that my employer bought me which works great but in reality for a person who will only use it a handful of times its silly to invest in expensive one.

Go to home depot or lowes, in the wire aisle look for the wire by the foot section
1) Get an employee to cut you off a few feet of 12-3 SJOOW wire, sold as portable power cord wire like this
2) Grab a 20 amp plug like this. Make sure it's rated for 20 amps, the chord's wire will just screw right in, no crimps on this end.
3) Get ya some yellow crimp terminals for 10 to 12 awg wire like these or these. These insulated terminals are color coded, so yellow is the size you want.
4) Invest in a quality pair of ratcheting crimps like these. I use these, they crimp good.

edit:
5) Oh, and some wire strippers are handy to keep in the tool box. like these or these

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a crimper that cost almost $300 that my employer bought me which works great but in reality for a person who will only use it a handful of times its silly to invest in expensive one.

I agree. You don't need to spend a fortune but stay away from the dollar store junk. $20 should get you a Klein or GB or some other decent tool that doesn't flex or completely bend out of shape when you try to use it. The combo style with the machine screw cutter makes it a tool you probably never knew you needed. The wire strippers on those are useless though.

From my experience you can accomplish a good crimp with the cheap ones as long as you have enough grip strength.

Like I said above, I have completely destroyed a few CHEAP tools trying to apply enough force to make a good crimp and the wire pulled right out after all. There are some real junk tools out there. Someone who doesn't crimp connectors everyday might not know the difference and end up with all their connections falling apart or melting down.

Back