Help! Slurry I have doesn't look right!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been in the habit of harvesting my yeast. I planned on using some US-05 I have on hand for an IPA I'm in the middle of doing. I put the jars out, and saw this.

20151108_151300_zpslx1031dj.jpg

I have no idea what the white thing at the top is, but it doesn't look like anything I've seen before. The bottom of the jar looks normal. It's just that whiteish looking debris at the top. I have this in both jars. Is this yeast still usable or will I be pitching an infection?

That's all the US-05 I have too. Am I screwed??

It looks like an embryo.

Drain the liquid and the embryo. Hopefully the yeast is okay. If that is all I had, I would use it and hope for the best. Good luck.

It looks like an embryo.

Drain the liquid and the embryo. Hopefully the yeast is okay. If that is all I had, I would use it and hope for the best. Good luck.

I'm with StPug. I texted my cousin and hope he can come through for me, but I don't remember him saying in the past he had any US-05 on hand.

Worst case, the yeast itself looks normal, just that crud on top. I thought about sanitizing the spoon, and just fish it out.

I do have some 1007 and 1469 slurry. I also have some left over 1335 that I used this morning, but only 200mL of it.

The beer I'm brewing is AiH's Two Hearted Ale clone. I have 1007, 1469, and a little 1335 left. Which do you all like if my cousin has no spare US-05?

The floater looks like it might be fuzzy and green on top. If it is you have an infection from something dropping into your jar during the harvest process.

The floater looks like it might be fuzzy and green on top. If it is you have an infection from something dropping into your jar during the harvest process.

Yeah, when I first harvested it, I left the lids on loose so the gas could vent. I forgot to go back after an hours and crank down on the lids.

Thanks Rufus. I'll go ahead and use the 1007. I'm kinda bummed out, but also anxious to see how this IPA will turn out with a German yeast pitched in it

I thought I would post a pic of the finished beer.

20151202_140502_zpsw7vaj4jy.jpg

It's AiH's version of Two Hearted Ale. Since I used 1007, and Northern Brewer's version is called Dead Ringer, I thought I'd call my version "Zombie Nazi".

It tastes pretty good. It seems to be drier and a bit more crisp to it in the finish, but the hops tastes and smell great. My OG was a bit lower than I wanted, so it's almost a full 1% lower in abv (down to about 6.2%, last was 7.1).

I like it and may do this version again. Thanks everybody for your help during that crisis. :mug:

Back