Help select a new Ace Hardware drill, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfrisby

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today there is a groupon for the local Ace Hardware. I can get $60 for $30. My current corded drill is on its last leg when I crush my grain. I really am not sure what characteristics to look for in a new drill for grain. (90% of the use of my drill is crushing grain so those characteristics are the driving force behind the drill).

If anyone has the time and willingness, would you mind looking at the link below to see if you have a recommendation? This link should take you to the 3rd page in the Ace Hardware drills which will all be in the $60 area.

Thanks for any help.

http://www.acehardware.com/family/index.jsp?page=3&categoryId=1259337&cp=2568443.2568450.2628094

What size drill chuck do you need for your mill? If it's going to take a 1/2" chuck, that's going to narrow down your options in a hurry, as there's only one 1/2" model listed at your linked page that isn't a hammer drill...

Cheers!

Ive seen posts where it is recommend to go about 800RPM's. So it sounds like I need to look for a drill that has some form of manual setting to set the RPM's closer to 800 than the 2500 standard that all these seem to have.

Mikescooling-you recommend a cordless? I specifically was looking for a corded to handle the load. If my corded starts dying before the grain is done, I figured a cordless wouldn't stand a chance.

Day Tripper- That's a good question. I use a cut off thumbscrew that the drill grabs onto. I would assume both a 1/2" or 3/8" would be able to grip it.

Ive seen posts where it is recommend to go about 800RPM's. So it sounds like I need to look for a drill that has some form of manual setting to set the RPM's closer to 800 than the 2500 standard that all these seem to have.

That B&D is variable speed with the trigger.

I have run my mill full speed through a batch of grain without any issue whatsoever. No affect on crush or resulting efficiency, etc. Of course, that's with my mill and my lautering system, etc. YMMV.

Back