Help Save my Black IPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

typebrad

Reaction score
Everything was going so perfect. Hit time to pitch and I was using a yeast I've never used before. Lallemand?I think it was called their "West Coast Yeast."

Anyhow, my kits instructions clearly stated DO NOT REHYDRATE YEAST (maybe I should have listened), but going against the grain, I rehydrated and maybe even went too high with temp. It hit about 100° but I quickly controlled temp to 75°/80°.

Four hours later, it doesn't look like much yeast is in the mood to party.

Do I add more yeast tomorrow when I can pick some up? I can just toss a smack pack in there.

I've never had this happen. Please help with any suggestions. I hate to lose a perfectly composed batch of beer.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400030214.431149.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400030241.596436.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400030284.625466.jpg

Sent from the toilet

Lallemand's west coast is bry-97 I believe, which is a known slow starter and some say you should double pitch with it. Like 2 packs even at 1.060 SG. I wouldn't raise alarm until at least 48 hours. You would be safe to rehydtate and pitch another pack. You could use same same or use us-05 if you're worried about the yeast, the 2 should be fine together.

4 hours? Your black IPA doesn't need saving. Your patience meter is broken. :) give it at least 48 before you question it. That's a slow starting yeast iirc.

The four hours is not my concern, but the temp the yeast reached when rehydrating at 100°. 80°-92° was preferred.

Sent from the toilet

That is a little hotter than ideal but not so hot as to kill your yeast. Don't worry until you hit 110-115f.

I don't really like any yeast character in my IPAs so if i were you i would gladly toss in an other packet of yeast. (yesterday i dropped 2 packs of rehidrated US05 into a 1.040 wort, mainly because i don't have any aerating equipment so i try to sort of "bypass" the yeast's multiplication phase by getting in a lot of cells at the start)

I don't really like any yeast character in my IPAs so if i were you i would gladly toss in an other packet of yeast. (yesterday i dropped 2 packs of rehidrated US05 into a 1.040 wort, mainly because i don't have any aerating equipment so i try to sort of "bypass" the yeast's multiplication phase by getting in a lot of cells at the start)

When you pitch a rehydrated package of dry yeast you are already bypassing the multiplication phase in part because of the amount of cells in the packet of dry yeast and then the multiplication that does occur is helped by the nutrient included in the packet that replaces the need for oxygen. A single packet in a non-aerated wort of up to 1.060 wort should be fine.

A single packet in a non-aerated wort of up to 1.060 wort should be fine.

I used to believe that. I even preached it. I often quoted the Danstar FAQ: "No, there is no need to aerate the wort but it does not harm the yeast either." Oops, I just did it again.

However, the one time I actually put this assertion to the test, I brewed a 1.050 pale ale and pitched a rehydrated packet of US-05 into the wort with absolutely no aeration at all. Not even splashing when transferring into the carboy (I used an autosiphon).

That beer turned out to be a huge banana-bomb. I consider it undrinkable, but my wife (who likes bananas) thinks it's OK, so we're slowly working through the bottles. It's been over a year, and I still find the esters overwhelming.

Since then, I always aerate my worts thoroughly with either a Fizz-X rod on a drill (for ale worts up to 1.060) or a minute or so of pure Oxygen (for all lagers, and ale worts above 1.060). Never had the problem again.

Maybe the science supports it and something else was to blame. But that's the only thing I changed, and one ruined batch of beer is enough for me. I always aerate.

Personally I think you can get off flavors from any less that optimal condition. One time I had a wheat beer that I used too much oxygen on. The beer came out hot and solventy. This happens to commercial breweries too... In Mitch Steele's book, he describes the same thing happening.

Aeration caused Banana Bomb?

Thought that was purely a temp thing?

A lack of aeration, yes.

It's more of a "stressed yeast" thing. Underpitching can cause it, lack of aeration can cause it, fermenting too hot can cause it ... basically anything that can stress the yeast can cause them to produce off-flavours, one of which is banana. Particular stresses can also create other off-flavours, such as the "hot" fusel alcohols from fermenting too warm.

Looks like it's taking off! Definitely not mold, mold takes much longer to manifest. This looks like the start of active fermentation. Be patient!

When you pitch a rehydrated package of dry yeast you are already bypassing the multiplication phase in part because of the amount of cells in the packet of dry yeast and then the multiplication that does occur is helped by the nutrient included in the packet that replaces the need for oxygen. A single packet in a non-aerated wort of up to 1.060 wort should be fine.

I used to get peach all the time with a single package of US05 into semi-aerated wort (shaked fermenter) of any OG basically (from 1.040 to 1.090) and at any temp (from 60 to 70) but i don't get it anymore since i use two packages and rehidrate.

Latest posts

Back