Help restarting stuck fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johow

Reaction score
So I posted the other day about issues with attenuation. I have 2 beers in my chamber and they both seemed not to be attenuating properly. I raise the temp a few degrees and the IPA took off and is now nicely nearing its FG. The stout on the other hand is still sitting at 1.030 exactly where it was when I last posted. I was shooting for an FG of 1.017 or so.
I pitched a healthy 1 litre starter of WLP090 into this 1.061 wort, I believe the San Diego super yeast should have been fine for this beer. Going back in my memory, I'm wondering if I failed to get enough oxygen into the wort before pitching.
I'm thinking of adding a pa k of re-hydrated us-05 but if I didn't aerate well enough would it do any good. It would not be a good idea to try and aerate now.
The beer is sitting at 70 degrees right now, should I think of bumping that a few more degrees?
Your comments are welcome.....

Also wondering if there would be any advantage to racking into a secondary fermenter before adding more yeast?

Well, for better or worse, I warmed it up to 72 or so degrees and pitched a half pack of US-05. To see if I can get it going again. We'll see what happens tomorrow. I also had an IPA in my ferment chamber that I needed to cold crash, so I took out the stout and its in the closet at room temp (I thinki can keep it around 72in the room). I think where I went wrong is not aerating well enough but it's too late for that now.

How long has it been fermenting? I don't even check gravity until the 2-week mark after pitching, at which point I'm going to secondary or cold crashing to bottle. Some beers take awhile to get to FG.

Stirring up the trub can help. I use my sanitized auto-siphon for this.

It's been a couple of weeks and it's been at the same gravity (1.030) for several days.

Back