Help reading recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublimnl

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am about to start my third brew, and this time I am leaving behind the Brooklyn Brew Shop mixes and am following a 3 gallon recipe (also first time moving up to 3 from 1 gallon). I already found the BBS instructions to be confusing, and had an experienced brewer friend help me decipher it a little and I am fine with that now; now I am trying to decipher the recipes that members are posting. I am pretty sure I understand it all, my only question is the order of adding the ingredients. The recipe I am following says:

Styrian Golding 0.75 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Saaz 0.50 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes
Coriander Seed 7.20 grams, Spice, 10 min

Does this mean add the Goldings at 60 minutes in to the boil, and the Saaz at 15 minutes in to the boil and lastly the Coriander's at 10 minutes in? Or should I be looking at it backwards (i.e. the way that it was posted)? I think what's really confusing me is that the times are going from high to low so any explanation would be appreciated!

For hop additions, and spices and any other thing, the time refers to how long it's in the boil. So, essentially, it's how long from the end of the boil.

I.e., if a hop addition says 10min, you'd add it 10 minutes from the end of the boil (flameout).

Great, that explains the backwards listing of the ingredients - I figured I would ask instead of assuming. Thanks!

Back