HELP QUICK with Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should make a starter for this yeast before pitch. Having said that as long as your smack pack is viable at this point , if your wort is cooled etc I would pitch and move on. You may have a big lag time.

I have done the same thing ( I always make starters for smak packs now ). In some cases I have pitched a smak pac and had visible fermentation start in 5 hours.

Not that the OG reading matters at this point. You're going to pitch regardless I would imagine. :)

But just out of curiosity, does your recipe have an estimated OG? If you're under 1.060, you should be OK. Anything over 1.060, or over 6 gallons I would make a starter for.

Well, it's too late for a starter now. Typically you do one 1-2 days prior to your brewday. There's some good threads here, just search for 'starters.'

You'll be fine, don't sweat it. I've been using smack packs for months w/o a starter and my beers turned out great. It's when you get into the higher OGs and bigger beers that you really should use a starter.

Its a Boston Ale so I dont think it should have a really high OG This is my first time using a smack pack, last time I just used whatever yeast came with my kit, but this time I used a recipe instead of a kit, im kinda excited

Back